Work/Life Resources and Benefits
Skadden recognizes the value of providing assistance to our attorneys as they strive to balance work and personal responsibilities. Two programs, FRM (Flexible Return from Maternity) and Sidebar, are examples of the support we offer to our attorneys.
FRM: FRM (pronounced “firm”) provides greater flexibility to women, and men who are primary caregivers, returning from parental leave after the birth or adoption of a child. The program allows participants to design their own return schedule — either reduced hours or a combination of office and home days — during a defined period of time, up to one year. Nearly 60 percent of eligible parents have opted to utilize the FRM program since its inception.
Sidebar: Through Sidebar, attorneys in good standing may leave the firm for up to three years with the expectation that they will return at the end of that period, consistent with the needs of their respective departments. Firm programs such as CLE seminars and networking events provide Sidebar participants with opportunities to remain connected to their Skadden colleagues.
Additional firm benefits include:
- parental leave
- back-up childcare and eldercare
- domestic partner health benefits
- tax gross-up for employees who provide health care coverage to same-sex spouses or domestic partners
- reduced-hours program
- mothers’ rooms, specially designated for the use of nursing mothers
- LifeWorks, a resource and referral program that provides contacts, information and practical solutions for a multitude of personal issues, from finding a pet-sitter to coping with a family problem
- Work/Life Week, an annual recognition of National Work & Family Month that offers seminars on a broad range of topics, including eldercare, parenting and finances