Webinar: Avoiding the U.S. Courts - the Rules Have Changed
September 21, 2010
On September 21, Skadden presented a webinar titled "Avoiding the U.S. Courts - the Rules Have Changed." Skadden speakers included U.S. securities litigators involved in the Morrison case as well as corporate partners active in both the European and U.S. markets.
Non-U.S. companies (and their management) have long been concerned about facing litigation in U.S. courts in connection with M&A and capital-raising activities that have little relation to the United States. An important U.S. Supreme Court decision (the Morrison case) has reduced but not eliminated this risk. This webinar focused on the implications for foreign companies and on issues to consider when structuring transactions and raising capital, including:
- the recent application of Morrison decision by lower U.S. courts
- the impact on public takeovers of European targets
- the impact on sponsored v. unsponsored ADR programmes
- the exposure of senior management to being sued personally in the U.S.
- recent legislative initiatives that may have an impact on the Morrison decision (The Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act)
To view the webinar, click here.