Alessandra K. Murata
Executive Compensation and Benefits
Alessandra Murata’s practice focuses on advising public and private companies, boards, private equity clients, asset managers and members of management on executive compensation and benefits issues arising in the context of mergers, acquisitions, initial public offerings and other extraordinary corporate events, including private equity and leveraged buyout transactions.
Ms. Murata also regularly advises public and private companies, executive management teams and individual executives on the adoption, revision and negotiation of executive employment and severance arrangements. In addition, Ms. Murata has advised numerous clients regarding the design, implementation and restructuring of equity compensation arrangements for corporations and partnerships in the context of private equity transactions, compliance with the tax rules relating to deferred compensation, tax planning with respect to the excise tax on excess parachute payments, limits on the deductibility of executive compensation and the SEC rules governing executive compensation disclosure and reporting. Ms. Murata is also the author of the partnerships chapter in the Section 409A Treatise.
Ms. Murata’s representations include:
- XTO Energy Inc. in its $41 billion stock-for-stock merger with Exxon Mobil Corporation;
- BlackRock in its $13.5 billion acquisition of the Barclays Global Investors business from Barclays;
- Express Scripts, Inc. in its $4.7 billion acquisition of WellPoint Inc.’s NextRx subsidiaries;
- Foundation Coal Holdings Inc. in its $2 billion stock-for-stock merger with Alpha Natural Resources Inc.;
- a consortium consisting of WL Ross & Co., The Blackstone Group, The Carlyle Group, Centerbridge Capital Partners, other investors and a management team led by John Kanas, in their $900 million acquisition of the banking operations of BankUnited, FSB in an auction by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, as receiver; and
- Pacific Century Group in its $500 million acquisition of a portion of American International Group’s investment advisory and asset management business.
LL.M., New York University School of Law, 2000
J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1999
B.S., Cornell University, 1996