Charles W. Mulaney, Jr.
Mergers and Acquisitions, and Corporate and Securities Law
Charles W. Mulaney, Jr. focuses on mergers and acquisitions (friendly and hostile), joint ventures and corporate financings. He counsels clients on a broad range of securities and corporate matters, including disclosure issues, the duties of directors and governance matters. Mr. Mulaney represents special committees of directors in transactions and internal investigations. He also advises major investment banks on acquisition and financing matters and has represented issuers and underwriters in numerous public and private securities offerings.
Among the many public and private transactions he has been involved in are the representation of:
- Exelon Corporation in its $7.9 billion stock-for-stock merger with Constellation Energy Group, Inc.;
- Kinetic Concepts, Inc. in its $6.3 billion pending acquisition by a consortium of funds advised by Apax Partners, together with controlled affiliates of Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and the Public Sector Pension Investment Board;
- Chevron Corporation in its $4.3 billion acquisition of Atlas Energy, Inc., a developer and producer of natural gas;
- Qwest Communications International Inc. in its $22.4 billion merger with CenturyTel, Inc. Mr. Mulaney was named “Dealmaker of the Week” by The Am Law Daily for his work on this transaction;
- the special committee of the board of directors of Tribune Company in its $13 billion going-private transaction involving an employee stock ownership plan and equity infusion from Sam Zell;
- Guidant Corporation in its acquisition by Boston Scientific Corporation for $27 billion, after an extended bidding contest with Johnson & Johnson;
- Scientific-Atlanta Corporation in its acquisition by Cisco Systems, Inc. for $7 billion;
- Pactiv Corporation, a leader in the consumer and food service packaging markets, in its approximately $6 billion acquisition by Reynolds Group Holdings Limited, a leading global manufacturer and supplier of consumer food and beverage packaging and storage products;
- Ryerson Inc. in its successful proxy contest with Harbinger Fund and later sale to Platinum Equity for $2 billion;
- Ameritech Corporation in its $60 billion merger with SBC Communications, Inc.; and
- Waste Management, Inc. in its $14 billion merger with USA Waste Services Inc.;
He also has represented issuers and underwriters in numerous public and private securities offerings.
Mr. Mulaney has provided corporate and transactional advice to a number of companies, including Ball Corporation; Baxter International Inc.; Ecolab Inc.; J.C. Penney Company; Mead Johnson Nutrition Company; Navistar International Corporation; Northern Trust Corporation; Sara Lee Corporation; Stryker Corporation; Wisconsin Energy Corporation; and various private corporations.
He is a member of the Corporate and Securities Law Institute of Northwestern University School of Law and has lectured at institutes for public company directors at the business schools of the University of Chicago, Duke University and Northwestern University. He speaks frequently on mergers, acquisitions and corporate governance.
Mr. Mulaney was named Best Lawyers’ “2013 Chicago Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year.” He repeatedly has been listed in Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and The Best Lawyers in America and was selected for inclusion in The International Who’s Who of Corporate Governance Lawyers 2009 and Crain’s Chicago’s Who’s Who 2012 list.
J.D., Yale Law School, 1974 (Editor, Yale Law Journal)
A.B., Georgetown University, 1971 (summa cum laude)
Law Clerk, Hon. Judge Edward Weinfeld, Southern District of New York, 1974-1975