Charles W. Mulaney, Jr.
Mergers and Acquisitions, and Corporate and Securities Law
Charles W. Mulaney, Jr. focuses on mergers and acquisitions (friendly and hostile), corporate governance and corporate financings. He counsels clients on a broad range of securities and corporate matters, including disclosure issues, the duties of directors and shareholder activism. Mr. Mulaney represents special committees of directors in transactions and internal investigations. He also advises major investment banks on acquisition and financing matters and has represented issuers and underwriters in numerous public and private securities offerings.
Among the many public and private transactions he has been involved in are the representation of:
- Ameritech Corporation in its $60 billion merger with SBC Communications, Inc.;
- Chevron Corporation in its $4.3 billion acquisition of Atlas Energy, Inc.;
- Exelon Corporation in its $7.9 billion stock-for-stock merger with Constellation Energy Group, Inc.;
- Guidant Corporation in its acquisition by Boston Scientific Corporation for $27 billion, after an extended bidding contest with Johnson & Johnson;
- Kinetic Concepts, Inc. in its $6.3 billion acquisition by a consortium of funds advised by Apax Partners, together with controlled affiliates of Canada Pension Plan Investment Board and the Public Sector Pension Investment Board;
- Pactiv Corporation in its $6 billion acquisition by Reynolds Group Holdings Limited;
- Qwest Communications International Inc. in its $22.4 billion merger with CenturyTel, Inc. Mr. Mulaney was named “Dealmaker of the Week” by The Am Law Daily for his work on this transaction;
- Ryerson Inc. in its successful proxy contest with Harbinger Fund and later sale to Platinum Equity for $2 billion;
- Scientific-Atlanta Corporation in its $7 billion acquisition by Cisco Systems, Inc.;
- Stryker Corp. in its $1.65 billion acquisition of MAKO Surgical Corp.;
- the special committee of the board of directors of Tribune Company in its $13 billion going-private transaction involving an employee stock ownership plan and equity infusion from Sam Zell; and
- Waste Management, Inc. in its $14 billion merger with USA Waste Services Inc.
Mr. Mulaney has provided corporate and transactional advice to a number of companies, including Ball Corporation; Baxter International Inc.; Ecolab Inc.; J.C. Penney Company; Mead Johnson Nutrition Company; Navistar International Corporation; Northern Trust Corporation; Stryker Corporation; Wisconsin Energy Corporation; and various private corporations.
He is a member of the Corporate and Securities Law Institute of Northwestern University School of Law and has lectured at institutes for public company directors at the business schools of the University of Chicago, Duke University and Northwestern University. He speaks frequently on mergers, acquisitions and corporate governance.
Mr. Mulaney was named Best Lawyers’ "2014 Chicago Corporate Governance Lawyer of the Year" and "2013 Chicago Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year." He repeatedly has been listed in Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America, The International Who’s Who of Corporate Governance Lawyers and Crain’s Chicago’s Who’s Who list. Mr. Mulaney also was named a "Client Service All-Star" by The BTI Consulting Group in its 2014 Client Service All-Stars report.
J.D., Yale Law School, 1974 (Editor, Yale Law Journal)
A.B., Georgetown University, 1971 (summa cum laude)
Law Clerk, Hon. Judge Edward Weinfeld, Southern District of New York, 1974-1975