Corporate Finance, Mergers and Acquisitions, and International Finance Transactions
Edward Lam is a partner in the Corporate Group in Skadden’s Hong Kong office. His primary focus is on corporate finance and international finance transactions in Asia, particularly those in Chinese-speaking countries and regions. He also is active in mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions. Mr. Lam is qualified to practice New York, English and Hong Kong law.
Mr. Lam has been selected for inclusion for capital markets high-yield products in Hong Kong and China by Chambers Global 2013 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2013.
Mr. Lam advises issuers and underwriters on U.S. federal securities law issues in connection with SEC-registered and Rule 144A/Regulation S debt and equity offerings, as well as Hong Kong law issues associated with listings on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
Corporate Finance - Equity
- the issuers or underwriters in the following IPOs on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (most of which are Rule 144A/Reg S transactions): Melco Crown Holdings Limited; SBI Holdings, Inc.; Elec & Eltek International Company Limited; Hebei CoalChem Holdings Limited; China Liansu Group Holdings Limited; BYD Electronic (International) Company Limited; Pacific Textiles Holdings Limited; Delta Networks, Inc.; Kingboard Laminates Holdings Limited; Stella International Holdings Limited; Computime Group Limited; and China Properties Group Limited;
- the underwriters in the US$1.3 billion SEC-registered offering of American depositary shares and concurrent listing on NASDAQ and the US$581 million follow-on registered ADR offering (as well as subsequent offerings) by Melco PBL Entertainment (Macau) Limited, a gaming company that focuses exclusively in Macau; and
- Delta Networks, Inc., a manufacturer of network telecommunications equipment in Taiwan, in its going-private transaction and the delisting of its shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange;
Corporate Finance - Debt and Convertible/Exchangeable Debt
- China Petrochemical Corporation’s US$3 billion bond issue;
- the underwriters in the US$400 million offering of high-yield bonds issued by a subsidiary of Zoomlion Heavy Industry Science and Technology Co.;
- the underwriters in the (i) RMB1 billion offering of 4.875% dim sum bonds issued by a subsidiary of Shougang Holding (Hong Kong) Limited, (ii) RMB1.25 billion offering of 4.75% dim sum notes issued by Zhongsheng Group Holdings Limited and (iii) the RMB2.3 billion offering of 3.75% dim sum bonds by Melco Crown Entertainment Limited;
- the underwriters in the (i) US$200 million offering of 13.75% senior notes due 2015, (ii) RMB-denominated U.S. dollar settled offering of 11.5% senior notes due 2014 and (iii) HK$1 billion RMB-denominated offering of 13.8% privately placed senior notes due 2014, in each case issued by Powerlong Real Estate Holdings Limited;
- the underwriters in the (i) US$400 million offering of 10.625% senior notes due 2018 and (ii) US$300 million offering of 9.5% senior notes due 2017, in each case issued by Yanlord Land Group Limited, as well as the lenders in a US$400 million syndicated loan to the same company;
- the underwriters in the US$200 million offering of 13.5% senior notes due 2015 by Yuzhou Properties Company Limited;
- SRE Group Limited, a real estate company, in three related transactions: its tender offer and consent solicitation to the holders of its US$200 million of high-yield 8.625% guaranteed senior notes due 2013, a US$65 million offering of 6% convertible bonds due 2014 and a HK$500 million follow-on offering of shares via a top-up placement in Hong Kong (named the “Best Liability Management Deal” for 2009 by The Asset magazine);
- the lead underwriters in the US$300 million high-yield bonds issuance by Agile Property Holdings Limited (named the “Best Asian High Yield Bond” by Euroweek Asia Polls 2009 - Investor Poll);
- the dealer manager in the high-yield bonds consent solicitation launched by Shanghai Industrial Urban Development Group Limited (formerly known as Neo-China Group Limited);
- Merrill Lynch as sole dealer manager in the high-yield bonds tender offer by Galaxy Entertainment Finance Company Limited, a company whose parent company engages in the operation of casinos in Macau; and
- Coastal Greenland Limited and Titan Petrochemicals Group Limited in their issuances of US$150 million and US$400 million of high-yield bonds.
Born in Hong Kong, Mr. Lam is able to read and write Chinese and speaks Cantonese and Mandarin.
Legal Practice Course, College of Law, London, 1995
LL.M., University College, London University, 1994
LL.B., University College, London University, 1993