Edward V. Filardi
Patent and Other Complex Intellectual Property Litigation
Edward Filardi has extensive experience in patent, trade secret, unfair competition and antitrust-related matters, specifically regarding litigation and dispute resolution. He is a registered U.S. patent attorney with extensive jury trial and appellate experience and has litigated patent and other technology-related cases for both plaintiffs and defendants.
Mr. Filardi has served as lead trial counsel in matters involving various technologies, including medical devices, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, computer software, telecommunications, mechanics and business methods in U.S. federal and state courts, as well as before the International Trade Commission. He also has significant experience representing clients in international litigation related to the pharmaceutical, chemical and fabricated materials industries, and he has served as advisory lead counsel in coordinating litigation in France, Germany, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Japan, Denmark and Sweden. Mr. Filardi has been an arbitrator and a court-appointed neutral evaluator in intellectual property rights infringement matters, including arbitrations administered by the American Arbitration Association (AAA) and the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center.
Mr. Filardi has written and lectured extensively on matters relating to federal litigation and practice and patent law for the Practising Law Institute, the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the Los Angeles Patent Law Association, The Southwestern Legal Foundation, the New York Intellectual Property Law Association, the American Bar Association Section of Intellectual Property Law and the National Institute for Trial Advocacy.
Mr. Filardi repeatedly has been selected for inclusion in Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America and The International Who’s Who of Patent Lawyers. He is a member of the Skadden group recognized by The National Law Journal as one of the country’s leading IP practices in its 2013 “IP Hot List.”
Publications and Lectures (2000-Present)
- Speaker, PLI Patent Law Institute 2009, New York (March 2-3, 2009) and San Francisco (March 23-24, 2009)
- Panelist, “Patent Infringement Damages,” AICPA National Conference on Fraud and Litigation Services, together with damages expert Glenn Newman of PARENTE RANDOLPH, LLC. Served as co-panelist on the overall topic of patent damages and how economists and CPA damages experts effectively are used in patent infringement litigation (Sept. 28-29, 2006)
- Contributing Author, Patent Litigation Strategies Handbook, Second Edition (BNA 2006)
- Co-author with Mark D. Baker, “The Past, Present and Future of the Federal Circuit; Practitioner Perspectives on the Law of Inequitable Conduct, Claim Construction and the Doctrine of Equivalents,” Case Western Reserve Law Review (Spring 2004)
- Author/Speaker, “Strategic Considerations For Timing Of A Markman Hearing,” AIPLA Spring CLE Program, (April 2002)
- Presentation, “Jury Demands In Patent Cases,” UC Berkeley Campus Patent Reform Conference, (March 2002)
- Presentation, “Kicking The Tires After Kuhmo,” PricewaterhouseCoopers Leadership Form, Intellectual Property & Complex Commercial Litigation, (February 2002)
- Author, “Ownership of Intellectual Property Assets, Contracting Joint Development, and Alliances,” Practising Law Institute (February 2001)
- Co-author with Di Jiang, “Ownership of Intellectual Property Assets, Contracting, Joint Development, and Alliances,” Practising Law Institute (2001)
- Author, “Third-party Discovery,” Patent Litigation Strategies Handbook (BNA 2000)
- Presentation to Barnett Pharmaceutical Group “Patent Issues Relating to the Marketing of Brand Name and Generic Pharmaceuticals,” Philadelphia (June 2000)
J.D., New York Law School, 1968 (Articles Editor, Law Review)
B.S., Iona College, 1965
Member, Intellectual Property Law and Litigation Sections, American Bar Association
Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
Past President, New York Intellectual Property Law Association
Federal Bar Council