Mergers and Acquisitions; Corporate Transactions
Erik Elsea concentrates in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, securities law, and general corporate matters. Mr. Elsea has represented buyers and sellers and their financial advisors in a variety of U.S. and cross-border transactions, such as public and private acquisitions and divestitures, including mergers and stock and asset purchases; auctions; negotiated and contested public acquisitions; going-private transactions; financings; and joint ventures and other strategic alliances. With respect to general corporate matters, Mr. Elsea has advised companies concerning SEC filings and reporting obligations, board and stockholder affairs, internal reorganizations, and other corporate and securities law matters.
The various mergers, acquisitions and other corporate transactions in which Mr. Elsea has participated and counseled clients include the representation of:
- Braskem S.A. in its acquisition of The Dow Chemical Company’s polypropylene business;
- developers and investors in various tax advantaged transactions in the renewable energy sector;
- Société Générale in its acquisition of certain North American power and natural gas trading assets of Sempra Energy Trading, LLC, a joint venture owned by Royal Bank of Scotland and Sempra Energy;
- Daimler Chrysler AG in its sale of an 80 percent stake in Chrysler Holdings LLC to Cerberus Capital Management, L.P.; Mirant Corporation in its $3.4 billion sale of its Philippines operations to The Tokyo Electric Power Company and Marubeni;
- the special committee of the board of directors of Kinder Morgan, Inc. in the leveraged buyout of Kinder Morgan;
- Petrie Parkman & Co. Inc. in its sale to Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc.;
- Celanese AG in the sale of its acrylic acid business to The Dow Chemical Company;
- AquaSource, Inc. in the sale of its portfolio of assets to Philadelphia Suburban, California Water Service Corporation and Southwest Water Company; and
- The AES Corporation in its $3 billion acquisition of IPALCO Enterprises, Inc.
J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 1998
B.A., DePauw University, 1995