Evan R. Levy
Real Estate, Restructuring and Workouts, Private Equity, REITs
Evan Levy is a partner in Skadden’s New York office. Mr. Levy’s practice emphasizes real estate financings, private equity funds, workouts and restructurings, development projects and securities offerings.
Mr. Levy has broad experience representing both borrowers and lenders in capital markets and bank syndicate loans for office buildings, hotels and resorts, shopping centers, mixed-use properties and property portfolios. He has represented Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, Fortress Investment Company, CIT, and other lenders and property owners in the origination, syndication, participation and securitization of unsecured credit facilities, mortgage loans and mezzanine loans. His work has involved some of the largest national and international real estate companies, including Wynn Resorts, HCP Inc., Simon Property Group, Vornado Realty Trust, HEI Hotels & Resorts, The Praedium Group LLC and Toys“R”Us. He also counsels on financings, acquisitions and sales by individual property owners and developers. Mr. Levy advises purchasers and sellers in the structuring of performing and distressed mortgage loans, multiple-tier participation interests and B notes, and mezzanine loans and the secondary market trading in these structured instruments, including repurchase and warehouse financing facilitating.
Representing both lenders and borrowers, Mr. Levy has been involved in complex single-asset and portfolio workouts, restructurings, recapitalizations and bankruptcies. He has represented:
- Credit Suisse in U.S. and multinational single-asset and portfolio workouts, restructurings and bankruptcies;
- Wells Fargo in the bankruptcy restructuring of the Tropicana Las Vegas Casino;
- CIT Group in single asset and portfolio workouts and restructurings;
- Deutsche Bank in single-asset and portfolio loan workouts and restructurings;
- real estate companies in the restructuring of secured and unsecured loans; and
- public commercial mortgage REITs in the restructuring of their structured loan portfolios.
In real estate development projects, Mr. Levy represents developers, equity investors and lenders in all aspects of the structuring, capitalization, financing and leasing of development transactions. Mr. Levy has been involved in the development of the W Hollywood Hotel & Residences, the Westin Minneapolis, The New York Times headquarters building, the Hudson Hotel, the Times Square Hilton, the Le Meridien Philadelphia, the Trump World Tower Condominium in New York City, the St. Regis Hotel and Condominiums in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., and other office, hotel and mixed-use development projects throughout the United States.
Mr. Levy is actively involved in representing issuers and underwriters of real estate securities, including private equity funds. His transactions include:
- the creation of private equity funds sponsored by Dune Real Estate, Colony Capital, Fortress Investment Group, Babson Capital, Fir Tree Capital, Goodman Group and Och-Ziff Capital Management;
- the offering and structuring of commercial mortgage-backed securities;
- U.S. and cross-border mergers and acquisitions involving public and private real estate companies; and
- U.S. and international debt and equity offerings.
Mr. Levy repeatedly has been included in the New York: Real Estate Finance category of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. He was noted as a “Key Individual” in the Investment Funds: Real Estate: Global-wide category of Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2011. Mr. Levy has been recommended in real estate law by The Legal 500 United States.
J.D., Albany Law School of Union University, 1995 (magna cum laude; Note & Comment Editor, Albany Law Review)
M.B.A., Union College, 1995
B.A., University at Albany, 1991 (magna cum laude)