James Anderson joined the London office of Skadden in 2006. He is co-head of the firm’s private capital practice in Europe.
Mr. Anderson’s particular client focus is on alternative asset managers, multinational corporations and various forms of private capital. He advises on the establishment and ongoing operations of debt- and equity-funded pooled investment vehicles such as SFOCs, private equity funds and hedge funds, as well as private capital arrangements for fund principals and other high net worths. He also has experience of the full range of public capital markets transactions, including IPOs, equity-linked and hybrid issuances, securitisations and other structured debt offerings.
Mr. Anderson is a member of the International Fiscal Association (IFA) British Branch committee, U.K. branch reporter for the IFA Global Congress 2013, member of the HMRC /HMT Consultation Group for the U.K. fund management industry and vice chair of the Tax Committee for AIMA (Alternative Investment Management Association), lobbying for good practice in the taxation of U.K. and cross-border asset management activities. Mr. Anderson also is a member of the U.K. Revenue’s IAS 39 Technical Committee and the British American Business Tax Forum, and also sat on the Revenue’s Hybrid Instruments sub-group, where he contributed to Revenue policy on accounting and tax issues in the derivatives and capital markets spheres, and helped frame relevant legislation.
Mr. Anderson has lectured at Columbia University in New York and presented an International Tax Masterclass at Utrecht in the Netherlands.
Mr. Anderson is ranked in the first tier for tax in Chambers UK 2014, being described by clients as “innovative and commercial” and “delivering high-quality advice.” Mr. Anderson also is recognised by The Legal 500 as one of the world’s leading 250 international tax advisers, as well as a “Leading Individual” amongst the top 40 UK corporate tax advisers for 2012, stating he has “the ability to think through complex client-specific issues.” Mr. Anderson is also listed in Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, Legal Experts, PLC Cross-border Tax on Transactions Handbook, World Tax and Tax Directors Handbook.
His transaction highlights include:
- BlackRock, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of MGPA, an independently managed private equity real estate investment advisory company in Asia-Pacific and Europe. This transaction was named “Global Deal of the Year” for 2013 by PERE Magazine;
- advising the founding principals of Trailstone LLC in their departure from Deutsche Bank AG and in the formation and capitalization of a global energy and commodities investment and trading platform;
- advising Legg Mason, Inc. in its acquisition of Fauchier Partners LLP, a manager of funds of hedge funds, from BNP Paribas Investment Partners;
- advising BlackRock in connection with its acquisition of Credit Suisse’s ETF division;
- setting up the global operations of BTG and subsequently its acquisition of Pactual Bank, and sovereign wealth investment of further capital into the combined group BTG Pactual, followed by IPO;
- advising an SFOC manager on the establishment of a “narrow bank”;
- advising U.S. and U.K. hedge fund managers in LLP establishments and conversions, and associated compensation arrangements;
- acting for Barclays Bank on a spinout of an equity trading desks to a separate fund platform in Bermuda, New York and London;
- acting on the establishment of the Russia/China infrastructure sovereign wealth fund joint venture;
- defending several U.S. banks in U.S. tax examination and litigation relating to structured finance transactions;
- advising two global insurance/reinsurance groups on tax guidelines and managing global tax risk;
- advising NASDAQ on its £2.7 billion proposed acquisition of the London Stock Exchange plc;
- advising on the establishment of several European loan origination platforms for private equity and hedge funds;
- advising on the establishment of carbon credit trading platforms in Luxembourg for a U.S. hedge fund;
- acting for C12 Management on the spinout by Barclays Bank of US$12.3 billion in credit market assets into a separate fund platform (‘Protium’);
- advising Och-Ziff on its SEC-registered IPO on the New York Stock Exchange;
- advising on the establishment of a U.K. disaster recovery site for a U.S.-based algorithmic trading business;
- advising an Asian sovereign wealth entity in relation to its investment in a real estate managed account with a global investment bank;
- advising U.K. hedge fund managers on U.S. seed deal investments to the funds/managers;
- establishing a life settlement fund for a U.S. hedge fund manager;
- advising U.S. lending banks on a proposed £3 billion U.K. tax-based tanker leasing for a Middle Eastern state-owned natural resources business;
- advising a U.S. hedge fund on the financing and on-sale of a U.K.-based oil drilling platform;
- advising Fortress Investment Group in connection with the IPO of Aircastle, its aircraft leasing business;
- advising a U.S. and Bermudian insurance company on the US$400 million issue of a catastrophe bond into the capital markets; and
- advising a U.S. private equity house on the investment in US$2 billion-worth of oil tankers for a bareboat chartering business.
Mr. Anderson also advises on tax controversy issues, including dealing with the U.K. revenue authorities, and he has experience in complex cross-border tax disputes.
M.A., (Hons.) Cantab., Law, Cambridge University, 1990
Diploma in Legal Practice, with Distinction, College of Law, London, 1994
IFA (British Branch) Committee
International Tax Planning Association