James Anderson joined the London office of Skadden in 2006. He is co-head of the firm’s private capital practice in Europe.
Mr. Anderson’s particular client focus is on alternative asset managers, multinational corporations and various forms of private capital. He advises on the establishment and ongoing operations of private equity funds and hedge funds, as well as private capital arrangements for fund principals. He also has experience of the full range of public capital markets transactions, including IPOs, equity-linked and hybrid issuances, securitisations, SIVs and other structured debt offerings.
Mr. Anderson is a member of the International Fiscal Association (IFA) British Branch committee, U.K. branch reporter for the IFA Global Congress 2013, member of the HMRC /HMT Consultation Group for the U.K. fund management industry and vice chair of the Tax Committee for AIMA (Alternative Investment Management Association), lobbying for good practice in the taxation of U.K. and cross-border asset management activities. Mr. Anderson also has sat on various HMRC stakeholder committees, helping to frame relevant regulation in the spheres of derivatives, personal taxation, property taxation and funds.
Mr. Anderson has lectured at Columbia University in New York and presented an International Tax Masterclass at Utrecht in the Netherlands.
Mr. Anderson is ranked in the first tier for tax by Chambers UK 2015, quoting sources describing him as “dogged” and “an amazing lawyer.” Who’s Who Legal 2014 states that he is an “internationally renowned star” with a “world class” practice. He has been recognised by The Legal 500 as one of the world’s leading 250 international tax advisers as well as a “leading individual” amongst the top 40 U.K. corporate tax advisers, stating he has “the ability to think through complex client-specific issues.” Mr. Anderson also is currently listed in the top tier for tax in Chambers Global and Chambers Europe. In addition, he is recognised in Legal Experts, PLC Cross-border Tax on Transactions Handbook, World Tax, Tax Directors Handbook as well as in Lawdragon Insights: Private Funds. Mr. Anderson also is listed as a leader in International Tax Review’s Tax Controversy Leaders 2014.
His transaction highlights include:
- BTG Pactual in its proposed acquisition of BSI, the Swiss-based private banking group owned by Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A., for CHF1.5 billion;
- BTG Pactual in its proposed acquisition of Ariel Reinsurance, a Bermuda-based property and casualty reinsurance company;
- BlackRock, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of MGPA, an independently managed private equity real estate investment advisory company in Asia-Pacific and Europe. This transaction was named “Global Deal of the Year” for 2013 by PERE Magazine;
- advising the founding principals of Trailstone LLC in their departure from Deutsche Bank AG and in the formation and capitalization of a global energy and commodities investment and trading platform;
- advising Legg Mason, Inc. in its acquisition of Fauchier Partners LLP, a manager of funds of hedge funds, from BNP Paribas Investment Partners;
- advising BlackRock in connection with its acquisition of Credit Suisse’s ETF division;
- setting up the global operations of BTG and subsequently its acquisition of Pactual Bank, and sovereign wealth investment of further capital into the combined group BTG Pactual, followed by IPO;
- advising an SFOC manager on the establishment of a “narrow bank”;
- advising U.S. and U.K. hedge fund managers in LLP establishments and conversions, and associated compensation arrangements;
- acting for Barclays Bank on a spinout of an equity trading desks to a separate fund platform in Bermuda, New York and London;
- defending several U.S. banks in U.S. tax examination and litigation relating to structured finance transactions;
- advising two global insurance/reinsurance groups on tax guidelines and managing global tax risk;
- advising NASDAQ on its £2.7 billion proposed acquisition of the London Stock Exchange plc;
- advising on the establishment of several European loan origination platforms for private equity and hedge funds;
- advising on the establishment of carbon credit trading platforms in Luxembourg for a U.S. hedge fund;
- acting for C12 Management on the spinout by Barclays Bank of US$12.3 billion in credit market assets into a separate fund platform (‘Protium’);
- advising Och-Ziff on its SEC-registered IPO on the New York Stock Exchange;
- advising on the establishment of a U.K. disaster recovery site for a U.S.-based algorithmic trading business;
- advising an Asian sovereign wealth entity in relation to its investment in a real estate managed account with a global investment bank;
- advising U.K. hedge fund managers on U.S. seed deal investments to the funds/managers;
- establishing a life settlement fund for a U.S. hedge fund manager;
- advising U.S. lending banks on a proposed £3 billion U.K. tax-based tanker leasing for a Middle Eastern state-owned natural resources business;
- advising a U.S. hedge fund on the financing and on-sale of a U.K.-based oil drilling platform; and
- advising Fortress Investment Group in connection with the IPO of Aircastle, its aircraft leasing business.
Mr. Anderson also advises on tax controversy issues, including dealing with the U.K. revenue authorities, and he has experience in complex cross-border tax disputes.
M.A., (Hons.) Cantab., Law, Cambridge University, 1990
Diploma in Legal Practice, with Distinction, College of Law, London, 1994
IFA (British Branch) Committee
International Tax Planning Association