Jennifer L. Spaziano
Jen Spaziano is co-chair of Skadden’s Litigation Group in the Washington, D.C. office. She represents financial institutions, corporations and individuals in civil litigation in federal and state courts throughout the country. She has extensive experience in actions brought under the False Claims Act (FCA), federal securities laws, the Fair Housing Act (FHA), the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) and the Alien Tort Statute (ATS). She has handled numerous appeals, including in the Second, Fourth, Seventh, Ninth and Tenth Circuits. She also has assisted boards and audit committees in conducting internal investigations of potential corporate misconduct and corporate governance issues.
Ms. Spaziano has represented:
- health care companies, pharmaceutical companies, information technology providers, defense contractors, educational institutions and financial institutions in FCA matters pursued by the government and by qui tam relators;
- public companies and their directors and officers in federal securities fraud class actions and in derivative litigation;
- financial institutions in multidistrict litigation involving slavery reparations and related unfair business practices claims and in actions asserting claims under RICO and the ATS;
- an insurance company in class action litigation asserting violations of the FHA;
- a tax preparation company in an arbitration proceeding involving contract claims; and
- a software developer in asserting trademark infringement claims against an Internet search engine in a case that was recognized in Financial Times’ 2012 “US Innovative Lawyers” report.
Ms. Spaziano has written about proposed and enacted federal legislation designed to expand and strengthen the FCA and about U.S. Supreme Court decisions involving the federal securities laws and the ATS. She is the co-author of an InfoPAKSM for the Association of Corporate Counsel titled “Crisis Management in Litigation and Investigations: Parallel Proceedings, Competing Stakeholders, and Multiple Venues.” She was selected as one of the 2014 “BTI Client Service All-Stars” by The BTI Consulting Group for providing outstanding client service.
Ms. Spaziano serves on the firm’s pro bono and hiring committees and is a member of the Lawyers Committee of the National Center for State Courts. She also volunteers at the Washington Animal Rescue League, where she socializes homeless cats and dogs.
J.D., Pepperdine University School of Law, 1995 (summa cum laude)
A.B., Boston College, 1992 (magna cum laude)