Kristin M. Davis
Executive Compensation and Benefits
Kristin Davis frequently advises clients on executive compensation and employee benefits issues on an ongoing basis as well as in the context of a variety of corporate transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, sales, spin-offs, and other private and public business combinations. Ms. Davis also has extensive experience counseling a wide variety of clients in the design, modification and negotiation of compensation arrangements, including employment agreements, equity- and cash-based incentive plans and separation agreements.
In addition, Ms. Davis regularly advises clients regarding corporate governance matters and SEC guidelines governing executive compensation disclosure and reporting. She also counsels clients regarding tax planning with respect to golden parachute excise tax issues, limitations on the deductibility of executive compensation and the tax rules and consequences relating to nonqualified deferred compensation.
Ms. Davis provided executive compensation advice in connection with the following transactions:
- Chevron Corporation in its $4.3 billion acquisition of Atlas Energy, Inc., a developer and producer of natural gas primarily in the Marcellus Shale area of southwestern Pennsylvania. In connection with the acquisition, Atlas acquired an interest in a pipeline system in Pennsylvania and divested interests in existing investment partnerships, certain natural gas reserves and certain other energy assets;
- Broadcom Corporation in its $3.7 billion acquisition of NetLogic Microsystems, Inc.;
- Visa Inc. in its $2 billion acquisition of CyberSource Corporation;
- Solo Cup Company in its $1 billion acquisition by Dart Container Corporation;
- Ameriprise Financial, Inc. in the $150 million sale of Securities America Financial Corporation to Ladenburg Thalmann Financial Services Inc.; and
- WL Ross & Co. in its $100 million joint acquisition (along with The Yucaipa Companies) of a 40 percent stake in Amalgamated Bank.
J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, 2003 (magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Articles Editor, Santa Clara Law Review)
B.S., California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, 2000
Co-Author, "Section 409A: Top Ten Compliance Pitfalls," Practical Law Company, June 2012