Lance A. Etcheverry
As a member of Skadden’s Los Angeles litigation department, Lance Etcheverry has developed a reputation as an accomplished litigator with extensive experience in handling highly-complex, bet-the-company cases, from the pre-litigation investigation stage through trial and appeal. Through his work at Skadden and as a visiting prosecutor, Mr. Etcheverry has gained significant first-chair trial and arbitration experience.
Mr. Etcheverry’s notable representations and achievements include:
- successful constitutional challenge to California insurance statute on behalf of foreign insurance company in the United States Supreme Court;
- dismissal of SEC insider trading claims against a board member of national title insurance company;
- suppression of more than 40 million pages of electronic and paper evidence on Fourth Amendment grounds in criminal action where defendant was charged with 137 counts of health care fraud, violation of the federal anti-kickback statutes and tax evasion. Following the suppression order, the government certified that it could not proceed with the prosecution;
- dismissal of $16 billion federal antitrust and RICO claims against founders of company that revolutionized peer-to-peer Internet communications;
- arbitration award finding that manager and member of $300 million real estate project had engaged in acts of deceit and willful misconduct;
- dismissal of $60 million theft of trade secrets claims asserted against leading shopping mall operator and developer;
- advised prominent Hollywood studio in connection with FBI fraud investigation of chief financial officer;
- dismissal of putative consumer class action claims against shopping mall operator based on allegedly fraudulent gift card program; and
- advised private aviation company in connection with SEC investigation into multiple earnings restatements.
Mr. Etcheverry was named by the Daily Journal as one of the "Top 20 Under 40" lawyers in the state of California.
B.A., University of Nevada, 1995
J.D., University of California, Boalt Hall School of Law, 1998
American Bar Association
Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Board Member, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Los Angeles