Litigation; Mass Torts, Insurance and Consumer Litigation
Recently named by the Los Angeles Daily Journal as one of the “Top 100 Lawyers,” consistently listed among the “Top Women Litigators” in California and included in Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America, Lisa Gilford focuses her practice on class actions, products liability law and jury trials. She has represented several major members of the automotive, insurance, communications, oil and gas, aerospace, chemical, manufacturing and pharmaceutical industries. Prior to joining Skadden in 2013, Ms. Gilford was the co-chair of the products liability practice at another prominent law firm.
Her experience includes:
- serving as lead counsel in a large-scale automotive products liability and consumer class action MDL involving more than 200 class actions and personal injury cases, including successfully obtaining dismissal of the claims of plaintiffs from 14 different countries from that proceeding;
- serving as trial counsel in products liability cases involving claims of design and manufacturing defect for a variety of consumer and commercial products, including motor vehicles, household appliances, pharmaceuticals, refinery equipment, industrial and agricultural chemicals, and food and nutrition additives;
- representing corporate clients in class actions brought under California consumer protection and unfair competition laws, including the Unfair Competition Law, False Advertising Law and Consumer Legal Remedies Act; and counseling clients in litigation prevention and risk management in California;
- obtaining a defense verdict for a major telecommunications client after a month-long jury trial in a case involving breach of contract and civil rights claims, and representing telecommunications clients in class actions brought under the Telephone Communications Privacy Act and California Invasion of Privacy Act; and
- serving as coordinating counsel with scientific and technical knowledge for parallel personal injury and wrongful death actions arising out of claimed exposure to benzene, lead and solvents.
Prior to entering private practice, Ms. Gilford taught at The Georgetown University Law Center and was a graduate fellow and public service lawyer with Georgetown’s Institute for Public Representation. She frequently lectures on topics such as California tort, consumer protection and unfair competition claims; successful defense of class actions; best practices for outside counsel; and professional development for women lawyers and other diversity issues.
Ms. Gilford received the J. Michael Brown Award from DuPont in 2008 for her personal commitment to diversity, recruiting and mentoring in the legal profession. She is the former president of the National Association of Women Lawyers (2008-2009) and is actively involved in the Black Women Lawyers Association, Langston Bar Association and Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles. Ms. Gilford was profiled in two recent books on women in the legal profession, Courageous Counsel: Conversations With Women General Counsel in the Fortune 500 and Women on Top: The Woman’s Guide to Leadership and Power in Law Firms.
LL.M., Georgetown University, 1995
J.D., University of Southern California, 1993
B.A., Furman University, 1990
Board Member, Bet Tzedek
Former President, National Association of Women Lawyers
Defense Research Institute (Products Law and Toxic Tort Sections)
Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
Women’s Rainmaker Roundtable
Black Women Lawyers Association
Langston Bar Association
National Bar Association
African American Partners in Los Angeles