Corporate Transactions, Mergers and Acquisitions and Private Equity
Dr. Lutz Zimmer advises national and international clients in domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, joint ventures, takeovers and MBOs. His clients include private equity funds, investment banks and industrial companies.
Representative clients, deals or matters include:
- Arcelor SA in its defence against an unsolicited US$22.8 billion bid from Mittal Steel NV;
- Barclays Private Equity in its acquisition and sale of Siteco Beteiligungsverwaltungs GmbH, Fahrzeugelektrik Pirna, Etimex Holdings GmbH, Schneider Versand Holding GmbH and Ratioform Verpackungs-mittel GmbH as well as in its acquisition of Konrad Hornschuch Group;
- Capital Equipment Resources, a portfolio company of Atlas Holdings LLC (USA), in its acquisition of add-ons for Capital subsidiary Pangborn Corporation (USA). The target companies are Berger Strahltechnik GmbH (Germany), V+S Vogel & Schemmann Maschinen GmbH (Germany) and WG Technology S.r.l. (Italy), and the vendor is Canadian Wheelabrator Group;
- Daimler AG regarding SEC investigations into the alleged infringement of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and in its acquisition of 10 percent of the share capital of Kamaz Incorporated from Troika Dialog;
- eCircle AG in connection with the sale of all shares in eCircle AG to TA Associates, Inc. in 2010 and to Teradata Inc. in 2012;
- Evonik Industries AG (formerly RAG) in connection with the divestiture of all shares in Rütgers Chemicals GmbH, a subsidiary of Evonik Industries AG to financial investor Triton, and in the US$731 million sale of DBT GmbH to Bucyrus International, Inc.;
- Halder Holdings BV in the acquisition and sale of BHS Getriebe GmbH;
- Halder Beteiligungsberatung GmbH in its acquisition of the Klingel Group;
- the management of HSE24 (Germany), a television shopping channel, in connection with HSE24’s sale by AXA Private Equity (France) to funds advised by Providence Equity Partners LLC and in their re-investment in the company. This transaction was named “Private Equity Deal of the Year” by IFLR (2013);
- IAC/InterActiveCorp in its US$270 million sale of Home Shopping Europe GmbH & Co. KG and its affiliated television station HSE24 to KarstadtQuelle AG (now Arcandor);
- Konrad Hornschuch AG in its acquisition of the O’Sullivan Group in the U.S. and the related management participation;
- Nextech Ventures and other shareholders in the sale of their interests in Ganymed AG to a subsidiary of Gebrüder Strüngmann;
- Outokumpu Oyj (Finland) in its €2.8 billion acquisition of the Inoxum business unit from ThyssenKrupp AG (Germany). The combined entity will be a global leader in stainless steel manufacturing. This transaction was named “M&A Deal of the Year” by IFLR (2013);
- Silverfleet Capital (formerly PPM Capital) in its acquisition and sale of Jost Group and BST Berger Safety Textiles Group and in the acquisition of M+W Dental Group;
- SSD Sport Service Deutschland AG (SSD AG) in the acquisition of a majority interest in Frankfurt Lions “Die Löwen” Eishockey GmbH; and
- Telegraaf Media Group in the sale of its interest in SBS Broadcasting and its option to purchase a minority stake in ProSiebenSat.1 Media AG. This transaction was valued at €3 billion.
Dr. Zimmer regularly gives presentations on German corporate law and compliance topics, such as at the 8th Annual Anti-Corruption Conference of the International Bar Association regarding questions of compliance due diligence. He also is registered as an arbitrator with the DIS (Deutsche Institution für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit) in Cologne.
Dr. Zimmer is named as a “leading individual” by Chambers Global and Chambers Europe. He also is included in Best Lawyers International 2011: Germany for private equity.
Dr. jur., University of Munich, 1997
University of Mainz, Germany, 1990
LL.M., University of Texas at Austin, 1993
“Latest Considerations in Sino-German M&A,” IFLR, August 28, 2013