Noelle M. Reed
Commercial and Securities Litigation, White Collar Defense
Noelle M. Reed has extensive experience representing clients in complex litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts and arbitrations.
Ms. Reed was a trial attorney with the Department of Justice’s Terrorism and Violent Crime Division and an assistant United States attorney in the Southern District of Texas. As a prosecutor, she handled criminal cases involving terrorism, public corruption, fraud, organized crime, drug trafficking, money laundering, environmental violations and tax offenses.
Ms. Reed’s practice includes representing corporations and individuals in a variety of complex civil and criminal litigation matters. She represents clients as plaintiffs and defendants and has served as lead trial counsel in more than 30 jury trials and arbitrations. She also regularly represents companies and their directors, officers and financial advisors in multiforum securities and fiduciary duty cases arising from mergers and acquisitions. She has represented clients in acquisition-related cases involving more than 100 billion dollars in transaction value.
Ms. Reed recently served as a member of Skadden’s Policy Committee, the firm’s governing body. She is a member of the American Law Institute and is listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and The Best Lawyers in America. During her tenure as a prosecutor, she also served as a trial advocacy instructor at the National Trial Advocacy Center, which provides litigation training to all federal prosecutors, and as an instructor at the International Law Enforcement Academy in Budapest, Hungary.
Representative matters in which Ms. Reed has been involved include:
- Aspen Technology, Inc. v. M3 Technology. As lead trial counsel, Ms. Reed obtained a $12 million jury verdict and a permanent injunction for client Aspen Technology on its copyright, trade secret misappropriation and tortious interference claims.
- Oxbow Calcining v. Port Arthur Steam Energy. Ms. Reed served as co-lead counsel in the successful arbitration of contract claims brought by and against client Port Arthur Steam Energy.
- Bank of America mortgage backed securities litigation. Ms. Reed is lead counsel for Bank of America and its affiliates in litigation pending in federal and state courts in Texas.
- Archer Well Company v. GW Holdings. Ms. Reed is lead counsel for Archer Well in complex litigation pending in the Southern District of New York arising from Archer’s acquisition of five companies.
- XTO Energy, Inc. Ms. Reed represented XTO in shareholder litigation seeking to enjoin Exxon Mobil’s $41 billion acquisition of XTO.
- Virgin Mobile. As lead counsel for Virgin Mobile, Ms. Reed obtained permanent injunctions against numerous defendants in a series of trademark infringement cases arising from the hacking of Virgin Mobile cellular phones.
- PISC v. Woolslayer. As lead counsel, Ms. Reed obtained a directed verdict on behalf of client Woolslayer in the jury trial of a contract dispute.
- GenOn. Ms. Reed is lead counsel for GenOn and its directors in federal and state litigation in Texas arising from NRG’s acquisition of GenOn.
J.D., Harvard Law School, 1996 (magna cum laude)
B.A., Boston University, 1991 (magna cum laude)
Law Clerk to the Honorable J. Daniel Mahoney, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (1996)
Law Clerk to the Honorable Richard J. Cardamone, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (1996-1997)
Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice (1997-1998)
Assistant U.S. Attorney, Southern District of Texas (1998-2004)
Member, The American Law Institute
Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
Fellow, American Bar Foundation