P. Anthony Sammi
Patent and Other Complex Intellectual Property Litigation
P. Anthony Sammi concentrates his practice on litigating intellectual property cases, particularly high-technology patent and trade secret cases, at the trial level.
With a background in electrical engineering and physics, Mr. Sammi has litigated a broad range of matters involving software, hardware, business method and e-commerce patents and trade secrets, as well as computer source code copyrights. His practice also includes counseling both U.S. and multinational clients on evaluating, licensing and protecting intellectual property portfolios.
Representative technologies that Mr. Sammi has litigated include: digital electronics and hardware; computer software and source code (HLASM, C++); mobile telephone and VoIP technology; blood centrifuge devices; satellite on-board computer stability systems; medical implant devices; sporting equipment; pharmaceuticals; cosmetics; MPEG video technology; Ethernet connectivity hardware; and digital imaging and storage systems in the financial industry.
He is a member of the Skadden group recognized by The National Law Journal as one of the country’s leading IP practices in its 2013 “IP Hot List.”
Selected engagements include:
- lead trial counsel on technology claims in a U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas, trade secret misappropriation and copyright infringement jury trial representing plaintiff, a leading software technology company; obtained a jury verdict, multimillion-dollar damages award, and permanent injunction for infringement and misappropriation;
- lead trial counsel in a U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, patent infringement jury trial representing defendant, one of the largest national archives of check images and electronic content for multi-bank infrastructure solutions;
- lead counsel in successfully defending against a preliminary injunction sought by the plaintiffs in a U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation action representing a leading global software development firm;
- trial counsel in a U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, patent infringement trial representing defendant, a leading sports equipment manufacturer, in which judgments of non-infringement and patent claim invalidity due to obviousness were obtained;
- arguing before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit representing the defendant-appellee, a leading sports equipment manufacturer, in the plaintiff’s appeal of district court post-trial judgment of invalidity and non-infringement; District Court judgments in favor of client were affirmed;
- representing a world-leading satellite manufacturer in defending against claims of patent infringement involving complex satellite guidance, stability, and station-keeping circuitry and control systems;
- leading the patent aspects of a multibillion-dollar acquisition of a social networking and VoIP service provider company; and
- leading the patent aspects of a multibillion-dollar merger and settlement relating to mobile device manufacturers.
Representative clients have included: JPMorgan Chase & Co.; Bank One Corporation; Lockheed Martin Corporation; Motorola, Inc.; Virgin Mobile USA, LLC; Rocket Software, Inc.; AstraZeneca PLC; Benetton Sportsystem USA, Inc.; Compaq Computer Corporation; Viewpointe Archive Services L.L.C.; Trish McEvoy, Inc.; Infra+ S.A.; and Aspen Technology, Inc.
- Speaker, “US Round Table: Best Practices Post AIA,” MIP Global IP & Innovation Summit, September 4-5, 2013, Shanghai
- Presenter, “Litigating Against Non-Practicing Entities,” Sixth Annual Patent Law Institute, February 16, 2012
- Member, Steering Committee; Speaker, "Building Client Relationships," The New Partner Forum, The American Lawyer, New York City, October 11-12, 2011
- Presenter, "The Role of the Specification in Claim Construction: Is It a Guidepost or a Fence?" BNA webinar, June 15, 2011
- TV Interview, “How ‘Gesture Technology’ Like Microsoft Kinect Will Change the Way We Live,” PBS’ Need to Know, April 8, 2011
- Presenter, “Litigating With An Eye Toward Trial,” Fifth Annual Patent Law Institute, February/March 2011
- Presenter, “Reexamination: Be Careful What You Wish For,” AIPLA 2011 Mid-Winter Institute, February 2011
- Speaker, “Strategic Xenophobia: Fighting Litigation Techniques that Vilify Origin and Ethnicity,” 2010 National South Asian Bar Association Annual Convention, June 26, 2010
- Panelist, Morning Plenary Session, 2010 Asia Society Diversity Leadership Forum, May 17, 2010
J.D., Cornell Law School, 1998
B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Maryland, 1995
Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
Member, New York Intellectual Property Law Association
Past President and Director, South Asian Bar Association of New York
Past Director, National South Asian Bar Association