Rodrigo A. Guerra, Jr.
Corporate and Securities Law
Rod Guerra represents leading companies, investment banks and institutional investors in a broad range of corporate matters, including corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, and restructurings.
In the area of corporate finance, Mr. Guerra has represented issuers, underwriters and institutional investors in a wide variety of public and private transactions with a particular focus on significant high-yield debt offerings, securities offerings, private equity, mezzanine investments and out-of-court restructurings. For high-yield debt offerings, Mr. Guerra has been involved in the issuance of several billions of dollars throughout his career. Among the clients Mr. Guerra has represented in finance transactions are Credit Suisse Group; Jefferies & Co., Inc.; Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc.; Oaktree Capital Management, LLC; and TCW Group, Inc.
Mr. Guerra has experience in numerous types of mergers and acquisitions, including negotiated and contested takeovers, leveraged buyouts, tender offers and joint ventures. He has represented both target and acquiring companies in transactions ranging from high-profile, multibillion-dollar deals to middle market acquisitions in a wide range of industries. For example Mr. Guerra has represented, among others:
- Revel AC, Inc., a subsidiary of Revel Entertainment Group, LLC, and its affiliates in a $1.15 billion financing, consisting of an $850 million senior secured term loan facility and a $304 million private placement of units consisting of 12% second lien notes due 2018 and warrants to fund the completion of construction, opening and operations of Revel’s Atlantic City casino resort;
- Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated; Citigroup Global Markets Inc.; and Wells Fargo Securities, LLC as joint bookrunning managers in a $325 million offering of 6.5% cumulative preferred shares of beneficial interest, Series Q by Public Storage, a real estate investment trust and a self-storage company;
- DineEquity, Inc., an owner and operator of chain restaurants, in its $1.8 billion refinancing, which included an $825 million Rule 144A/Regulation S high-yield offering of 9.5% senior notes due 2018 and a $950 million senior secured credit facility;
- Dr. James Nave, the independent director of Station Casinos, Inc., in Station Casinos’ prepackaged Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing, including the auction of assets. In connection with the filing, Station Casinos received a $722 million stalking-horse bid from an entity formed by Colony Capital and Fertitta Gaming LLC; and
- IHOP Corp. in its $2.1 billion acquisition of Applebee’s International, Inc.
Mr. Guerra has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America.
J.D., University of California at Los Angeles, 1982
M.B.A., University of California at Los Angeles, 1982
B.A., Stanford University, 1978