European Union/International Competition
Simon Baxter is co-head of the European Antitrust and Competition Group. He has extensive experience of European and international antitrust regimes and focuses on the antitrust aspects of mergers and acquisitions, as well as advising businesses on regulatory investigations and other compliance issues.
He has counseled clients such as American Express, Ball Corporation, BHP Billiton, Dell Inc., Doughty Hanson, General Electric, J.P. Morgan Chase, Macquarie, Nokia Siemens Networks, Novell, Sun Chemical Corporation, The Walt Disney Company and Yahoo! Inc. on merger investigations and compliance matters before the EU Commission, the U.K.’s office of Fair Trading, the Anti-Monopoly Bureau of China’s MOC and other agencies worldwide. Recently, he advised GE Aviation on numerous transactions, ASML on the conclusion of a technology alliance with Intel Corporation, Corning Inc. on its acquisition of Becton Dickinson’s Discovery Labware business and Yahoo! Inc. on the disposal of its stake in Alibaba Group.
Mr. Baxter is a regular speaker on competition law and is recognized as a leading practitioner by Legal 500, Chambers and other directories. He is described by Legal 500 EMEA as having “superb knowledge of competition law” and being “practical and business-oriented.” Chambers describes him as having a “deep knowledge of merger control.” Who’s Who Legal: Competition Lawyers & Economists 2012 also named Mr. Baxter as a leading practitioner in his field.
Mr. Baxter joined Skadden in 2010 from another international firm, where he was head of its antitrust practice.
- American Bar Association Spring Meeting, “New Horizontal Merger Guidelines: Ripples Across the Pond or Tsunami?” March 30, 2011 (Washington, D.C.)
- Skadden Seminar, “Overcoming Regulatory Hurdles in M&A,” Nov. 8, 2011 (Beijing)
- Global Competition Review Conferences, “Review of 2011,” Nov. 16-17, 2011 (Brussels)
- Premier Cercle Competition Summit 2011, “Merger Control in China and India,” Dec. 1, 2011 (Brussels)
- University College London, Institute for Brands and Innovation, Dec. 2, 2011 (London)
- Georgetown Law CLE, “Emerging Enforcement Regimes,” Sept. 19, 2012 (Washington, D.C.)
- Skadden Seminar, “Bridging the Transatlantic Divide,” Sept. 28, 2012 (Brussels)
Law, University of Sussex, 1985