European Union/International Competition
Simon Baxter is co-head of the European Antitrust and Competition Group. He has extensive experience of European, Chinese and other antitrust regimes and focuses on the antitrust aspects of mergers and acquisitions, as well as advising businesses on regulatory investigations and other compliance issues.
He has counseled clients such as American Express, BHP Billiton, Dell Inc., General Electric, Macquarie, Nokia Siemens Networks, Novell, Sun Chemical Corporation, The Walt Disney Company and Yahoo! Inc. on merger investigations and compliance matters before the EU Commission, the U.K.’s Competition and Markets Authority, the Anti-Monopoly Bureau of China’s MOC and other agencies worldwide. Recently, he advised GE on its acquisition of Avio S.p.A., ASML on its acquisition of Cymer Inc. and Yahoo! Inc. on the disposal of its stake in Alibaba Group. Currently, he is advising Rockwood Holdings, Inc. on the sale of its titanium dioxide business to Huntsman Corporation, and GE on its proposed acquisition of Alstom S.A. He also is advising a major U.S. bank on the EU Commission’s investigation into credit default swaps.
Mr. Baxter is a regular speaker on competition law and is recognized as a leading practitioner by Legal 500, Chambers and other directories. He is described by Legal 500 EMEA as having “superb knowledge of competition law” and being “practical and business-oriented.” Chambers describes him as having a “deep knowledge of merger control.” In addition, he is listed in The International Who’s Who of Competition Lawyers & Economists 2014 and Who’s Who Legal: Competition 2015.
Mr. Baxter joined Skadden in 2010 from another international firm, where he was head of its antitrust practice.
- American Bar Association, “Antitrust in Asia: China,” May 21-23, 2014 (Beijing).
- Skadden Seminar, “Observations on Developing Trends and Theories in Merger Enforcement,” Jan. 28, 2014 (Palo Alto, Calif.).
- Skadden Seminar, “Bridging the Transatlantic Divide,” Dec. 5, 2013 (Brussels).
- Skadden Seminar, “Merger Control in China,” March 26, 2013 (Washington, D.C.).
- Georgetown Law, “Emerging Enforcement Regimes,” Sept. 19, 2012 (Washington, D.C.).
Law, University of Sussex, 1985