Stephen D. Dargitz
Stephen D. Dargitz is a counsel with Skadden’s litigation department in Wilmington, Delaware. His practice includes complex commercial, corporate and securities disputes, with an emphasis on those relating to mergers and acquisitions.
Mr. Dargitz’ notable representations include:
- Activision Inc. and its board of directors, in convincing the Delaware Court of Chancery to deny a request to enjoin Activision’s $18.9 billion business combination with Vivendi, Inc.;
- BlackRock Credit Allocation Income Trust IV, in litigation against plaintiffs challenging the redemption of certain auction rate securities;
- DaimlerChrysler AG and Daimler Chrysler Corporation, in litigation filed by Kirk Kerkorian and other shareholders in the District of Delaware relating to the merger of DaimlerBenz A.G. and Chrysler Corporation;
- DRS Technologies, Inc. and certain of its directors and officers, in litigation filed in New Jersey in response to DRS’ merger with Finmeccanica, S.p.A.;
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., in a putative derivative action filed in the Middle District of Georgia;
- GTCR, in litigation arising out of its $830 million acquisition of Protection One, Inc.;
- HealthSouth Corporation, in multijurisdictional litigation including federal securities litigation, shareholder derivative litigation, ERISA “stock drop” litigation and litigation against certain of its former officers;
- IHOP Corporation, in a lawsuit filed in the Delaware Court of Chancery against IHOP and the directors of Applebee’s International;
- Plum Creek Timber Company, L.P., in litigation filed by a limited partner challenging Plum Creek’s conversion to a REIT;
- Signature Group Holdings, Inc., in litigation filed in Nevada challenging Signature’s “NOL” rights plan;
- Travelers Group Inc., in regulatory matters relating to its merger with Citicorp;
- Wilmington Trust Corporation, in federal securities litigation filed in the District of Delaware; and
- a Delaware death row inmate, in litigation successfully overturning his death sentence.
Mr. Dargitz also frequently provides advice on issues of corporate governance arising under Delaware law, including the fiduciary obligations of directors and officers. In addition to being a co-author of Mergers & Acquisitions Deal Litigation Under Delaware Corporation Law (2012), he is a member of the board of editors of Folk on the Delaware General Corporation Law (5th ed. 2007).
J.D., Yale Law School, 1997
B.S., Butler University, 1988