Stephen G. Sims
Stephen Sims is the practice leader of Skadden’s European Investment Management Group. Mr. Sims has experience in investment management and funds formation, advising fund managers and investors on the structuring, establishment and operation of investment funds, especially private equity and real estate funds. His work involves fund formation and capital raising; fund-related M&A at manager/group level and ongoing ‘house’ work; and secondary transactions in fund interests.
His career highlights include advising:
- UNIQA Insurance Group AG on the sale of a portfolio of 54 U.S. and European private equity fund interests to a number of secondary and institutional international buyers;
- BlackRock, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of MGPA, an independently managed private equity real estate investment advisory company in Asia Pacific and Europe. This transaction was named “Global Deal of the Year” for 2013 by PERE Magazine;
- the founding principals of Trailstone LLC in their departure from Deutsche Bank AG and in the formation and capitalization of a global energy and commodities investment and trading platform;
- BlackRock Inc. in its acquisition of the European exchange-traded funds business of Credit Suisse AG;
- Montagu Private Equity on its €2.5 billion fundraising;
- Haymarket Financial (HayFin), the corporate lender, on its fundraising with the Australian Future Fund;
- Goldman Sachs on primary and secondary investments;
- Azini Capital on the formation of Azini 2, backed by Lexington Partners, to acquire from Apax Partners two partnership holding interests in 16 technology companies across Europe and the United States;
- Hermes Fund Managers on the disposal of its direct private equity business to Bridgepoint, the merger of its fund of funds business with Gartmore’s to form Hermes GPE and the acquisition of Henderson’s stake in Hermes GPE following Henderson’s own acquisition of Gartmore;
- Graham Clempson on his role as chairman of the investment committee of Cavendish Square Partners, the joint venture formed by Coller Capital and Lloyds Banking Group to acquire the Bank of Scotland Integrated Finance portfolio; and
- The European Bank of Reconstruction and Development on various private equity and infrastructure funds.
Mr. Sims is recommended as a leading lawyer in Who’s Who Legal and Chambers UK, being described as “a very measured, pragmatic lawyer who provides sensible commercial advice from the LP side.” He was also recommended as one of the top 40 lawyers under 40 in Financial News in 2013.
Member of the Organising Committee of the IBA Private Investment Funds conferenceMember of the Association of Partnership Practitioners (APP)
LL.B. (Hons) Law, London School of Economics