Thomas A. Parnham
Thomas “TJ” Parnham represents clients in connection with congressional investigations and government enforcement matters. He also focuses on complex civil litigation at both the trial and appellate levels, having briefed and argued matters before federal and state courts.
Representative matters in which Mr. Parnham has been involved include:
- defense of a government contractor in defamation litigation in Pennsylvania, Virginia and the District of Columbia;
- defense of a financial institution in a class action brought in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and a subsequent appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit;
- defense of a telecommunications services company in consumer protection actions brought by the Federal Trade Commission and various state attorneys general;
- representation of a foreign corporation in an investigation into alleged accounting irregularities initiated by the Securities and Exchange Commission;
- representation of a financial institution in a fair lending investigation initiated by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau;
- representation of a medical device manufacturer in parallel civil and criminal investigations initiated by the Department of Justice;
- representation of a beverage company in proceedings before the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation;
- representation of multinational corporations in proceedings before the U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations; and
- representation of a professional association in connection with an investigation initiated by the U.S. House Energy and Commerce Committee.
Mr. Parnham also is committed to providing pro bono assistance to indigent individuals. He has assisted victims of domestic violence seeking protection orders in D.C. Superior Court, represented a criminal defendant seeking habeas relief in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and served as appellate counsel for a juvenile defendant challenging his convictions before the Maryland Court of Special Appeals.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Parnham taught English to elementary and middle school students in Japan.
J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2009
B.S., College of William and Mary, 2005
Law Clerk, Hon. Louise Flanagan, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina (2009-2011)