Antitrust and Competition
Tiffany Rider represents clients in criminal antitrust cartel investigations, as well as on the antitrust aspects of particularly complex mergers and acquisitions.
Within Ms. Rider’s criminal defense representations, she has experience in internal corporate investigations, U.S. grand jury proceedings, federal court proceedings, and U.S. and international leniency programs. She has defended companies and individuals in prominent international cartel cases and dealt with the U.S. Department of Justice, the European Commission, the Canadian Competition Bureau, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and other enforcement agencies around the world. For example, on behalf of clients facing criminal charges, Ms. Rider has:
- assisted companies and individuals through grand jury proceedings;
- obtained leniency in multiple jurisdictions;
- achieved early closure of a criminal investigation by the Department of Justice; and
- negotiated reductions in fines, including a post-judgment fine reduction.
Related to her criminal defense work, Ms. Rider has represented clients in follow-on antitrust class action litigation and arbitration. She also designs and implements comprehensive international corporate antitrust compliance programs tailored to specific industries.
Additionally, Ms. Rider has represented clients on a number of high-profile mergers and acquisitions, including:
- CME in its joint venture of the Dow Jones Indexes with S&P;
- Sprint in its opposition to AT&T’s proposed acquisition of T-Mobile. This case was recognized in the 2012 Financial Times “US Innovative Lawyers” report; and;
- BHP Billiton in its proposed $150 billion acquisition of Rio Tinto (received Department of Justice clearance).
Ms. Rider speaks on panels regarding international competition developments, including follow-on European litigation. She currently is a vice chair of the ABA Antitrust Section’s Civil Practice and Procedure Committee.
J.D., Indiana University School of Law, 2002
B.S., University of California, Los Angeles, 1992