Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Skadden) has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world by relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity to deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. By relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. We are recognized as a global powerhouse for complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients. Our attorneys, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, collaborate seamlessly across 50-plus practices and 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
We are seeking Legal Practice Assistants (Paralegals) to join our Boston, New York, and Washington, D.C. offices in June 2023. This position will provide diversified administrative case/deal support within the Legal Assistant Services Department. This is the entry-level position within the Department which involves direct contact with attorneys and other professional staff. Please submit a cover letter and resume when applying to this position.
- Assists with the preparation and court filing of pleadings and other court papers, as needed.
- Assists with retrieval of rules, regulations and company profiles, as needed.
- Assists with document productions, transactions and/or closings.
- Assists with preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials and/or client meetings.
- Performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER and other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Updates attorney and case/deal team binders.
- Organizes and manages electronic and paper files.
- Ensures that all files are maintained with Department-approved protocols and case management systems.
- Maintains the integrity of client files.
- Performs quality control of documents.
- Assists legal assistants and attorneys across practice areas.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with relevant Firm computer software (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel) with the ability to learn new software and operating systems.
- Ability to navigate various electronic databases and document repositories.
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools.
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team.
- Ability to assume progressive responsibilities within assigned work as experience is gained in the position.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgement.
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities.
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates close attention to detail.
- Flexibility to travel and adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs.
- Bachelor's degree
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k) and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or firstname.lastname@example.org.