Skadden is looking for a full-time General Litigation Legal Assistant in our Boston office. This person will provide assistance to the General Litigation practice area attorneys and legal assistants in all phases and aspects of litigation work.
- Proofread, cite-check, Shepardize and otherwise assist with the preparation of court papers, legal memoranda and other litigation documents.
- Perform non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER and other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Prepare hard and electronic documents to be filed with the court.
- Prepare and maintain case management tools.
- Ensure that all files are maintained within department approved protocols and case management systems.
- Proficiently use electronic litigation databases and other technology to streamline case management.
- Assist with all aspects of large volume document collection and production involving both hard and electronic documents.
- Assist in all aspects of deposition and interview preparation, including providing assistance during depositions and interviews.
- Assist in all aspects of trial and hearing preparation, including providing assistance during trials and hearings.
- Create and draft charts, court documents, letters, outlines, audit letters and other documents as needed to the highest standard of accuracy.
- Assist other legal assistants and attorneys across practice areas with corporate and litigation-related tasks.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of Firm operation, policies and procedures
- Manages Firm resources responsibly
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Proficiency in electronic databases, such as Relativity and document repositories
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER and other court-related websites
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills to facilitate effective working relationships with attorneys, clients and support staff
- Proactive, analytical and consultative problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Dedication to provide upper-margin customer service
- High level of professionalism
- Demonstrates leadership skills and ability to train others
- Demonstrates close attention to detail and provides an accurate, neat and thorough work product
- Ability to assume responsibility for assigned projects
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Commitment to work overtime, including nights and weekends
- Flexibility to travel when necessary
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's degree
- Two to five years of General Litigation legal assistant experience
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.