Human Resources Manager
Interested in joining a team of professionals who are smart, motivated and dedicated to supporting the firm and each other? Skadden – known for approaching our clients' most complex matters with innovative and creative thinking – is hiring a Human Resources Manager to join our firm in our Boston Office. In this role, you will be responsible for managing the strategic administration and daily operations of the Human Resources team and functions including professional staff performance management, employee relations, management coaching, training and development, recruitment and retention, policies, procedures and compliance, health and safety, and compensation. Liaise with the New York office Human Resources, Benefits and Payroll departments. Maintain a strategic partnership with all local office managers with regard to employee development, operational trends and employee engagement. (Hybrid Role)
- Develops, shapes and strengthens organizational culture and employee engagement through innovative Human Resources programs in the areas of employee relations, recruiting, compensation administration, and training and development.
- Partners with the Chief Human Resources Officer, Office Administrative Director and department heads in the development, implementation and standardization of Firm policies and procedures and general operations of the Firm.
- Regularly provides Chief Human Resources Officer and Office Administrative Director with status updates concerning HR-related matters including, but not limited to, employee relations, discipline issues and office management concerns.
HR Staff Functions
- Manages the daily activities of Human Resources.
- Oversees assigned employees' work performance and provides guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Ensures compliance with Firm policies and applicable local laws.
- Manages job description development and annual job description audit.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to requests for departmental services.
- Ensures current knowledge of Firm policies and practices for assigned staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Review and approval of time entries and expense reports, as applicable.
Recruitment and Termination Process
- Facilitates new hire orientation, including benefits, as needed.
- Oversees staffing recruitment activities, including establishing recruitment procedures and vendor relationships; reviewing and monitoring staffing requirements; conducting interviews, employment references and verifications, and managing intern programs, as necessary.
- Manages employee terminations and conducts exit interviews, as necessary.
- Handles unemployment process, including representation at unemployment hearings, if necessary.
- Partners with the Chief Human Resources Officer and Office Administrative Director to develop and evaluate training programs for professional staff. Consults with department heads on appropriate training needs for staff.
- Partners with Chief Human Resources Officer and Office Administrative Director on Diversity and Inclusion programs for the staff/office.
- In collaboration with the Office Administrative Director, directs, develops and administers professional staff performance management.
- Oversees annual performance appraisal process, manages performance evaluation online system and coaches and counsels managers and supervisors in creating substantive staff performance evaluations and performance improvement plans when needed.
- Manages the compensation process in collaboration with the Chief Human Resources Officer and the Office Administrative Director.
- Manages the discipline process, including documentation and follow up.
- Consults with Chief Human Resources Officer and Office Administrative Director on advanced discipline issues and involuntary terminations.
- Conducts internal investigations in collaboration with Chief Human Resources Officer and Office Administrative Director.
- Provides employee relations coaching and counseling to managers. Manages employee relations concerns.
- Manages all leaves of absence programs, including disability, FMLA and LOA; oversees HRIS data and interacts with the Firm's Benefits and Payroll departments to resolve issues.
- Manages the accommodation process in accordance with ADA standards.
- Manages employee status changes, transfers and promotions.
Policies and Procedures
- Liaises with Firm HR Professionals to coordinate consistency across all offices' practices, policies and procedures.
- Responds to various federal and state employment law compliance agencies, as necessary.
- Maintains current knowledge of federal and state employment and wage and hour laws.
- Assures that Firm employment, safety, employee relations and equal opportunity policies and practices comply with applicable provisions of federal and state labors laws, including appropriate record keeping and file maintenance.
- Consults with labor attorneys, as needed.
- Develops programs, policies, procedures and controls regarding employment activities; analyzes staffing, attrition, productivity and other employment statistics. Utilizes and maintains HRIS system in evaluating employee and headcount data.
- Regularly interfaces with the Human Resources, Payroll and Benefits departments in the New York office in order to appropriately administer Firm policies.
- Plans employee social and recreational events and philanthropic activities.
- Assists with office projects and matters such as facility-related issues, maintenance requests, emergency preparedness, office renovations, etc., as applicable.
- Management of other professional staff departments, as applicable.
- Oversees student intern program, as applicable.
- Recommends guidelines and practices to promote efficiency, effectiveness, excellent customer service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm's Core Values.
- Engages in strategic (i.e., long-range) planning by developing departmental goals and supporting objectives for department.
- Forecasts financial and budget requirements for the department and monitors the budget.
- Maintains confidentiality, continuous concentration, alertness and attention to detail necessary to uphold the Firm's standards. Duties are varied and regularly require logic, analysis and discretion. Often handles issues not covered by standard practices. Involves other Firm personnel strictly on a need-to-know basis.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Current knowledge of Human Resources field, procedures, best practices and trends
- Broad knowledge of federal, state and local employment laws
- Knowledge of relevant Firm software programs (e.g., Workday, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Demonstrated experience with leading and supervising others
- Ability to coordinate and implement projects, processes and change management
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and delegate effectively
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Flexibility to travel
- Bachelor's degree required
- SPHR/PHR certification and/or advanced degree preferred
- Ten + years relevant human resources management experience, preferably in a professional services environment; or equivalent Skadden experience
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world. Relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients’ legal issues. We are known for handling the most complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients and each other. Our attorneys and professional staff, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, work together seamlessly across 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
Culture & Life at Skadden
We are proud to have built a team of professionals who are smart, motivated and dedicated to supporting each other. We invest substantial time and effort in hiring and training our teams and recognize that capable and committed people are a valuable asset to the firm. Our goal at Skadden is for everyone to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive healthcare (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k), and voluntary benefits.
- Generous PTO.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning & professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
Skadden EEO and Affirmative Action Policy
Applicants Have Rights Under Federal Employment Law