Skadden is looking for a full-time Legal Assistant & Secretarial Supervisor in our Boston office. This person will supervise the daily activities and manage workflow of all legal assistants and secretaries within the Boston office. Interacts with staff in various departments (HR, Legal Technology, Attorneys, etc.) regarding day-to-day coverage needs, employee development, conflict resolution, and problem solving.
- Legal Assistant Services Department
• Demonstrates knowledge of litigation process and case management skills, as well as familiarity with corporate deal process and filing
• Effectively consults with local office attorneys to direct workflow needs and staff legal assistants and clerks on relevant cases and deals as appropriate.
• Coordinates legal assistant staffing with supervisors and managers in other offices.
• Interviews, selects, conducts, develops & refines training of legal assistants (in conjunction with other administrative team members).
• Regularly updates new hire and on-going training materials for legal assistants and effectively implements new methods and/or improves processes relevant to this area.
• Actively assists with coordinating work room and review space.
• Consistently reviews and monitors monthly utilization report to optimize legal assistant: attorney utilization.
• Prepares the annual budget for Boston's Legal Assistant services and monitors monthly report for budgeting compliance.
• Reviews disbursement reports to ensure appropriate billing methods.
- Secretarial Services Department
• Directs coordination of secretarial projects: identifying resources required, overseeing progress of ongoing projects and communicating closely with administration regarding progress of projects.
• Supervises secretarial finances and keeps within budget.
• Oversees and manages scheduling for secretarial staff.
- Works with office administration to ensure that all administrative tasks are being completed both timely and efficiently.
- Identifies issues and needs of the workplace environment and communicates those issues and needs to Office Administrator when appropriate.
- Knowledge of and implementation of the annual budget process.
- Prepares and coordinates regularly scheduled department meetings.
- Prepares letters, memos, tables and reports as directed utilizing appropriate computer software (e.g. MS Word, Excel).Actively seeks to enhance knowledge and familiarity of all procedures and processes.
- Ensures the implementation of and participates in the disciplinary action and termination of employment processes.
- Participates in the interviewing, selection and training process.
- Reviews and evaluates the performance and work of staff ; prepares performance evaluations and recommends salary increases.
- Oversees the annual review process for assigned departments.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Actively seeks out alternative methods and/or best practices for all workflow and procedures.
- Develops, implements and upholds department, Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Recommends and implements changes and improvements in methods and procedures to higher level management.
- Communicates situations as they evolve that may require management follow-up.
- Develops creative solutions when issues arise that prevent departmental goals from being met.
- Ensures current knowledge of firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Coordinates and oversees department projects, day-to-day operations and long-range plans.
- Monitors absence request system, time, attendance, overtime, and expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with firm policies.
- Recommends, participates, and initiates disciplinary procedures in collaboration with the Human Resources Department.
- Recommends guidelines and practices to promote efficiency, effectiveness, excellent customer service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm's Core Values.
- Develops and communicates departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to requests for departmental services.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to effectively facilitate effective work relationship with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Takes initiative and responsibility when dealing with departmental issues.
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques.
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Executes instructions and Firm policies with authority.
- Personally handles more complex issues/duties requiring independent exercise of discretion and judgment.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrates close attention to detail.
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills.
- Ability to defuse a tense situation.
- Ability to effectively supervise others.
- Ability to administer Firm policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities.
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and delegate effectively.
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team.
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs.
- Flexibility to travel.
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of seven years of supervisory experience
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.