Skadden is seeking a Legal Practice Assistant to join our Boston office.
Legal Practice Assistants provide diversified administrative case/deal support within the Legal Assistant Services Department. This is the entry-level position within the Department which involves direct contact with attorneys and other professional staff. Please submit a cover letter and resume when applying to this position.
- Organizes and manages electronic and paper files.
- Ensures that all files are maintained in accordance with Department-approved protocols and case management systems.
- Maintains the integrity of client files.
- Assists with the preparation and court filing of pleadings and other court papers.
- Assists with retrieval of rules, regulations and company profiles.
- Assists with document productions, transactions and/or closings.
- Assists with preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials and/or client meetings.
- Performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, and other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Updates attorney and case/deal team binders.
- Page-checks documents.
- Assists legal assistants and attorneys across practice areas.
- Performs frequent physical exertion including: sitting, repetitive use of both hands, lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Ability to navigate various electronic databases and document repositories
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to assume progressive responsibilities within assigned work as experience is gained in the position
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgement
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Flexibility to travel, adjust hours, and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor’s Degree
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.