Skadden is seeking Legal Practice Assistants to join our Boston, New York, and Washington, D.C. offices in June 2021.
Legal Practice Assistants provide diversified clerical, administrative, and case/deal support. The Legal Practice Assistant is the entry-level position within the department and involves significant contact with attorneys, members of the department, and other professional staff.
- Organizes and manages electronic and paper files.
- Ensures that all files are maintained with department-approved protocols and case management systems.
- Maintains the integrity of client files.
- Assists with the preparation and court filing of pleadings and other court papers, as needed.
- Assists with retrieval of rules, regulations, and company profiles, as needed.
- Assists with document productions, transactions, and/or closings.
- Assists with preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials, and/or client meetings.
- Performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, and other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Updates attorney and case and/or deal team binders.
- Page-checks documents.
- Assists legal assistants and attorneys across practice areas.
- Performs frequent physical exertion including: sitting, repetitive use of both hands, lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with relevant Firm computer software (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel) with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Ability to navigate various electronic databases and document repositories
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to assume progressive responsibilities within assigned work as experience is gained in the position
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgement
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Flexibility to travel and adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operation and business needs
- Bachelor's degree
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.