Skadden is looking for a full-time Support Oversight Manager in our Boston office. This person will oversee and manage the day-to-day coverage needs, and daily operations of the Legal Assistant Services, Secretarial Services, and Legal Technology departments ("the Departments"), and additional responsibilities including, but not limited to, staff management and integration, training and employee development, conflict resolution, organizational planning and process improvement in the Boston office.
- Manage daily assignments and day-to-day operations, ongoing projects, long-range plans, and long-term professional development of employees in the Departments.
- Actively monitor individual and Department utilization and productivity.
- Oversee programs that increase Departmental efficiency, strengthen employee knowledge and abilities, encourage leadership, and maintain upper margin service support for attorneys and clients.
- Provide leadership and continued professional development for the Departments, including the advancement of training initiatives.
- Promote an environment of teamwork and self-directed work teams by incorporating internal and external training methodologies and the continual evolvement of team efficiencies.
- Recommend guidelines and practices to promote efficiency, effectiveness ,excellent customer service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm's Core Values.
- Develop and communicate Departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Ensure accurate and timely responses to request for Department services.
- Actively seek to enhance knowledge of and familiarity with all procedures and Firm software and applications.
- Identify issues and needs of the workplace environment and communicate those issues and needs to the Office Administrator and Director of Legal Assistant Services, when appropriate.
- Consult with attorneys to ensure proper daily and long-term work flow and assignments of attorney/secretarial and attorney/legal assistant teams.
- Meet with attorneys regularly to determine the operational support required for new cases and overall case management.
- Engage in strategic (i.e., long-range) planning by developing Department-specific goals and supporting objectives for assigned departments.
- Prepare and implement the annual budget for the Departments.
- Ensure current knowledge of Firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Actively seek out alternative methods and/or best practices for all workflow and procedures.
- Develop creative solutions when issues arise that prevent Departmental goals from being met.
- Monitor Absence Request System, time, attendance, overtime, and expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with Firm policies.
- Review disbursement reports to ensure compliant and appropriate billing.
- Work with Human Resources on recruiting for positions within the Departments. Interview candidates and provide feedback to Human Resources.
- Regularly update and refine new-hire and on-going training materials, and effectively implement new methods and/or improve processes relevant to this area.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the litigation process and case management skills, as well as familiarity with corporate transactions.
- Provide case management expertise to attorneys and legal assistants on large trial and project teams, on- and off-site, to assist with efficient administrative case management.
- Actively assist with coordinating work room and review space.
- Coordinate legal assistant staffing with supervisors and managers in other offices.
- Consistently review and monitor monthly utilization reports to optimize legal assistant utilization, and to ensure budget compliance, adjusting strategy accordingly.
- Oversee and manage scheduling for secretarial staff.
- Coordinate secretarial projects, including identifying resources required, overseeing progress of ongoing projects, communicating closely with others regarding the progress of projects, and ensuring that all administrative tasks are being completed both timely and efficiently.
- Manage expenses for the Departments to ensure budget compliance.
- Review and evaluate the performance and work of staff; prepare performance evaluations and recommend salary increases.
- Oversee the annual review process for assigned departments.
- Effectively utilize the Firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Oversee employee work performance and provide guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Recommend, ensure the implementation of and participate, in collaboration with the Human Resources Department, in the disciplinary action and termination of employment processes.
- Manage Firm resources responsibly.
- Comply with and understand Firm operations, policies and procedures.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience with leading and supervising others
- Working knowledge of litigation matters and corporate transactions with litigation support/legal technology experience
- Proven ability to effectively lead, coordinate and implement projects, processes and change management
- Ability to take initiative and responsibility when dealing with Departmental issues
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques
- Strong technology skills, including relevant Firm programs such as, MS Word, advanced Excel, PowerPoint, and project management and database applications with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to execute instructions and Firm policies with authority
- Ability to handle more complex issues/duties requiring independent exercise of discretion and judgment
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrate close attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Ability to defuse a tense situation
- Ability to effectively supervise others
- Ability to administer Firm policies and procedures
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and delegate effectively
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Flexibility to travel
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of seven years of relevant administrative management experience in a law firm and/or professional services field
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.