Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Skadden) has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world by relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity to deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. We are recognized as a global powerhouse for complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients. Our attorneys, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, collaborate seamlessly across 50-plus practices and 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
We are seeking a Human Resources Generalist to join our Firm. This position will be based in our Chicago office (hybrid). The Human Resources Generalist performs cross-functional Human Resources assignments such as Employee Relations, Training and Development, HRIS, FMLA/Benefits Administration, Accommodations, Policy Administration, Timekeeping and Recruitment. This positions provides assistance with data analysis, employee policies and special projects. The Human Resources Generalist serves as a resource to California personnel by responding to inquiries regarding Human Resources programs and/or firm policies and procedures.
- Participates in the recruitment and on-boarding process of California Professional Staff employees, including collaborating with hiring managers to develop diverse recruitment strategies, utilizing various sources to market and advertise position vacancies; screening resumes, conducting interviews, and referring qualified applicants to the appropriate supervisor and/or manager.
- Ensures recruitment efforts are in compliance with OFCCP regulations and are consistent with a government contractor status.
- Assists Los Angeles and Palo Alto HR Managers with administering leaves of absence, including short and long-term disabilities, FMLA, PFL, CFRA, PDL, and other unpaid leaves. Meets with employees, maintains records and files, tracks leaves and coordinates documentation.
- Processes status changes in HRIS system related to leaves of absence and provides supporting documentation.
- Facilitates the accommodation process in accordance with the ADA. Maintains accommodation files and documentation.
- Supports the HR Managers in Los Angeles and Palo Alto offices with Employee Relations issues, including coaching, counseling, documentation and administering disciplinary action and terminations.
- Supports the HR Managers in Los Angeles and Palo Alto offices with internal investigations.
- Participates in the training and development provided to staff, including meeting with facilitators, customizing training content, auditing classes, maintaining the Skadden University websites for Los Angeles and California, and collecting feedback.
- Coordinates and schedules training and development, including Skadden University, New Hire Orientation, Well-Being and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion programs for Professional Staff.
- Maintains training and development information in the Los Angeles and Palo Alto training calendars and processes reports as needed.
- Assists with policy administration, including creating, updating, and interpreting policies for Professional Staff.
- Participates in the annual update to all Firm policies and the annual acknowledgement process.
- Participates in annual audits of job descriptions, internal processes and documentation; ensures accuracy of responsibilities, consistency and compliance with FLSA requirements.
- Participates in the Professional Staff annual performance review process, off-cycle reviews and progress reports.
- Conducts market research and internal and external pay analysis.
- Performs weekly meal and rest break audits within timekeeping software; ensures required payments for missed meal and rest breaks are communicated to the Payroll Department and are paid in compliance with California requirements.
- Assists with the execution of employee engagement events including Staff Appreciation Day, milestone anniversary recognition, and philanthropic activities.
- Participates in the implementation and coordination of department projects, including identifying resources, overseeing progress of ongoing projects and communicating closely with management regarding progress of projects.
- Assists with HR work/life initiatives such as employee assistance programs and promotions.
- Seeks to enhance knowledge of Human Resources procedures and processes.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Current knowledge of Human Resources practices, techniques and business trends
- Knowledge of federal, state and local labor and regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Broad and thorough knowledge of Excel and MS Word and a understanding of employee database applications
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Takes initiative and responsibility when dealing with departmental issues
- Ability to work and advance skills independently
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Flexibility to travel
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of five years related Human Resources experience
- Minimum of three years California compliance experience
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k) and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or firstname.lastname@example.org.