Utilizes various technology applications to effectively manage Firm/client records and information proactively. Acts as a records and information management key resource and liaison for the Firm's attorneys, clients and professional staff, offering advice, instruction and guidance when necessary and ensuring compliance at all times. Participates in all aspects of the entire records lifecycle, from label creation to offsite storage for both paper and digital media.
- Coordinates client file requests; involving IT, General Counsel's office and others as needed.
- Coordinates data/file destruction requests related to protective orders, confidentiality agreements and other client-specific obligations.
- Coordinates attorney departure file and email reviews; overseeing data file transfer when applicable.
- Reconciles files of terminating legal assistants.
- Coordinates case room work and special records departmental projects.
- Acts as a floor representative for the department ensuring that file keeping best practices are followed.
- Communicates department and Firm best practices to partners, attorneys and professional staff.
- Trains professional staff and attorneys in proper use of Firm records applications.
- Coordinates removal and retrieval of boxes to and from storage facilities.
- Coordinates with other offices for file retrieval/archival/destruction as necessary.
- Assists in implementing and administering retention and quality control programs.
- Assists management in determining need for change, and in developing and implementing the same.
- Identifies and communicates with management the need for professional staff training/coaching.
- Assists in training new employees and providing guidance to users.
- Communicates Ethical Wall and Legal Hold processes and their impact on access to and disposition of paper and electronic files to partners, attorneys, and professional staff.
- Manipulates data exported from a database using Microsoft Excel pivot tables, formulas, filters and other advanced spreadsheet functions.
- Imports and exports emails to and from PST files using Microsoft Outlook.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Maintains a complete understanding of the Firm’s records management processes, best practices and systems.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs frequent physical exertion including: standing, walking, bending over, twisting, pushing, pulling, repetitive use of both hands, lifting or carrying up to 30 pounds.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Operates equipment and performs job tasks in a safe manner, including utilizing safe lifting techniques, while minimizing risk to self and others
- Knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Knowledge of database systems and Boolean searching methodologies
- Knowledge of text and PST file types
- Ability to use Windows commands to move, copy and zip files for FTP posting or saving to media
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to delegate work effectively
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- High school diploma or equivalent. Bachelor's degree preferred
- Minimum of five years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.