This position is a front-line specialist that provides high-level assistance to partners, counsel and associates, while collaborating with other Firm departments and litigation team members to ensure superior client service. Includes (but not limited to) the following essential functions:
- Handles standard administrative functions, including answering, screening and placing phone calls; opening and routing mail as directed; maintaining files, records, attorney calendars and time records; preparing attorney expense reports.
- Reviewing attorney's e-mail (by proxy and with permission) to process new messages, maintain organized e-mail folders and keep attorney apprised of priorities.
- Assists in promoting business development through entry of activities, maintenance of contacts and assembling of mailing lists in InterAction.
- Handles all aspects of document preparation, processing and completion, working directly with attorney and clients.
- Works closely with Client Accounting to ensure up-to-date and accurate client billing.
- Assists with attorney personal work when required.
- Seeks ways of supporting clients and demonstrating the Firm's ability to provide superior client service.
- Assists other departments with special projects when schedule permits.
- Delegates work to other departments as necessary, coordinating the completion of delegated work and verifying its accuracy.
- Ensures proper functioning of all software and hardware being used by attorney, in consultation with technology support staff.
- Performs responsibilities of other support services when needed, including printing, scanning, duplicating, quality control, faxing and hand-delivering packages.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Flexibility and willingness to perform a wide range of tasks extending beyond routine expectations
- Desire to be challenged and to take on additional responsibilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, dispassionately and diplomatically
- Very strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Expresses an interest in solving problems and trying new approaches
- Ability to complete jobs in a timely manner and meet deadlines
- Ability to organize/prioritize work, perform multiple tasks simultaneously and delegate work effectively
- Ability to read, interpret, convey and follow instructions
- Ability to sit at work station for extended periods of time
- Ability to remain calm and function under pressure
- Excellent attention to detail; is neat and accurate
- Knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of five years experience in a professional services environment (preferably a large law firm) supporting partners and multiple attorneys
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.