- Develops, shapes and strengthens organizational culture and employee engagement through innovative Human Resources programs in the areas of employee relations, recruiting, wage and salary administration, and training and development.
- Partners with the Director of Human Resources, Office Administrators and department heads in the development, implementation and standardization of Firm policies and procedures and general operations of the Firm. Drafts employee policies and procedures.
- Oversees assigned employees' work performance and provides guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Monitors wage and hour (time and attendance) to ensure accuracy and compliance with firm policies and applicable wage and hour laws.
- Partners with the Director of Human Resources and Office Administrators to develop and evaluate training programs for support staff. Consults with department heads on appropriate training needs for staff.
- Partners with Director of Human Resources and Office Administrators on Diversity and Inclusion programs for the staff/office.
- Oversees staff recruitment activities. Establishes recruitment advertising procedures, vendor relationships; reviews and monitors staffing requirements; conducts interviews, employment references and verifications.
- In collaboration with the Office Administrators and the Director of Human Resources, directs, develops and administers support staff performance management and compensation programs, and job description development.
- Provides employee relations coaching and counseling to managers. Manages employee relations concerns.
- Regularly provides Human Resources Director in New York with status updates.
- Oversees employee leave of absence programs.
- Forecasts financial and budget requirements for the department and monitors the budget.
- Maintains current knowledge of federal and state employment and wage and hour laws. Assures compliance with applicable provisions of federal and state labors laws.
- Regularly interfaces with national Human Resources, Payroll and Benefits departments in New York in order to appropriately administer Firm policies.
- Plans employee social and recreational events including Staff Appreciation Day and philanthropic activities.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques
- Strong technological skills and knowledge of relevant software programs with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Proven ability to effectively lead, coordinate and implement projects, processes and change management
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple processes and projects and delegate effectively
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing. Ability to interact effectively with all staff, attorneys, vendors, etc.
- Strong initiative, collaboration and leadership skills
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Ability to use discretion, exercise sound judgment, handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Flexibility to travel
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree required
- SPHR/PHR certification and/or advanced degree preferred
- Ten + years relevant human resources management experience, preferably in a professional services environment with strong expertise in federal and California state employment and wage and hour law
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
Skadden will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.