Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Skadden) has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world by relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity to deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. By relying on these traits, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. We are recognized as a global powerhouse for complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients. Our attorneys, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, collaborate seamlessly across 50-plus practices and 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
Skadden is seeking a Senior Legal Assistant - Litigation (Paralegal) to join our Legal Assistant Services team in the Los Angeles office (hybrid). The Senior Legal Assistant utilizes experience and knowledge of case resources and methods to assist with advanced, complex tasks and projects, with minimal supervision, throughout all phases and aspects of Litigation work, while providing guidance to legal practice assistants, legal assistants, attorneys and other professional staff.
- Assists with the preparation and e-filing of California state court and Federal Court pleadings and other court papers.
- Prepares and handles technical, complex filings, including sealing procedures.
- Stays up-to-date on current rules and filing requirements.
- Pulls cases, shepardizes (cite-checks) briefs, and verifies the accuracy of quoted material and cited exhibits.
- Provides support throughout all phases of discovery, including document review, production and depositions.
- Assists with complex tracking and data analysis projects.
- Calculates litigation deadlines and manages litigation docket for assigned cases, ensuring that all deadlines and docket changes are calendared, updated, and communicated to responsible attorneys.
- Assists with preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials and/or client meetings.
- Proofreads briefs, memoranda of law, opinions and other documents.
- Assists with retrieval of rules, regulations and company profiles.
- Handles advanced, complex projects, and manages numerous deadlines by prioritizing tasks and delegating as necessary.
- Ensures that all Litigation case files are maintained within department-approved protocols and case management systems, and seeks to improve workflows regarding storage and recall of electronic and paper files.
- Organizes and manages electronic and paper files.
- Maintains the integrity of client files.
- Performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and other media and financial services sites, and/or other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Assists partners, associates and other legal assistants across offices, practice areas and throughout departments, as needed.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies, and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.
- Working knowledge of California state court, Northern District and Central District of California rules and procedures.
- Working knowledge of Federal Court rules and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience handling government investigations, including investigations by the SEC and DOJ.
- Demonstrated ability with complex court filings, in both paper and electronic (e-filing) formats.
- Ability to assist in the preparation of, and during, arbitrations/trials.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Knowledge of docketing/calendaring software.
- Ability to fluently navigate various electronic databases and document management systems.
- Working knowledge of Relativity and other e-discovery applications such as TextMap and CaseMap.
- Knowledge of Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems.
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and other court-related websites and/or media and financial services.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills to facilitate and maintain effective work relationships.
- Ability to work well independently, as well as effectively, within a team.
- Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills.
- Flexibility to travel as required.
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Must be able to meet the requirements of a California Paralegal under CA Business and Professions Code section 6450.
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience in a legal assistant position or a position requiring similar skillset, expertise and experience.
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k) and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefit
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
Skadden will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.