Skadden's Los Angeles office is seeking a Research & Knowledge Analyst to assist with global information services. This is a full time position, and the hours are 11am-7pm PST, Monday-Friday. This position offers a hybrid work model consisting of an in-office experience while affording the flexibility to work remotely several days a week.
This is a demanding role in a fast-paced environment and requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail, creative problem solving, and the ability to prioritize tasks and meet tight deadlines. This individual contributes to Knowledge Management (KM) initiatives and supports the research needs of attorneys and staff in all offices of the Firm. Essential requirements include database experience with a range of practice areas, including but not limited to: M&A, capital markets and litigation.
- Supports research and Knowledge Management (KM) initiatives for Firm attorneys and staff across the globe, incorporating new technology.
- Performs cost efficient ready reference and in-depth research on legal, corporate and other topics, supporting all practice areas of the Firm.
- Uses question and answer skills to conduct effective reference interviews.
- Distills research results into clear and concise reports of findings.
- Uses workflow software for the distribution and recording of research requests.
- Provides full service research and KM support if working remotely from the office.
- Monitors email on firm issued mobile device while out of the office and during off hours, and coordinates with staff in other offices to complete pending requests.
- Assists with department outreach, training and orientation programs.
- Develops subject guides, tip sheets and training materials as Department needs and resources change.
- Creates and maintains custom information reports and new business alert services that identify matters of interest to existing and potential clients.
- Collaborates with practice group leaders and other attorneys to design effective KM websites and databases.
- Works independently and with the KM team and selected practice areas to choose, collect, organize, maintain, and update content for practice area websites and databases.
- Helps facilitate access to and encourages the effective use of internal and external knowledge resources.
- Establishes relationships with attorneys to promote awareness of KM initiatives and to solicit their participation.
- Evaluates new and updated versions of information resources, and recommends beneficial information sources for the Firm.
- Develops information network within and outside the Firm.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Assists other department staff members when needed.
- Ensures continuity of Research & Knowledge Services operations during supervisor absences.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Experience with M&A, capital markets and litigation research.
- Expertise with computer-based research tools, including but not limited to: Lexis Advance, Westlaw Edge, Bloomberg Terminal, Bloomberg Law, Practical Law, FactSet, Cheetah, Intelligize, Deal Point Data, S&P Capital IQ, PACER, Courthouse News Service, Accurint, HeinOnline and more.
- Fundamental understanding of legal concepts and industry trends.
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., MS Office), with the ability to learn new applications.
- Experience or educational background in Knowledge Management and the application of information technology to knowledge sharing.
- Proven ability in using web page editors.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities.
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team.
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with others.
- Flexibility to work holidays and additional hours as necessary to meet operating and business needs.
- Master's Degree in Library Science or equivalent experience (minimum of four years); and
- Minimum of two years' research experience in a law firm or corporate library.
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
Skadden will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.