As an integral part of the West Coast Human Resources Department, this position will advise, consult and lead in planning, developing and making recommendations in the areas of recruitment, on-boarding, employee relations, training and development, performance management, benefit programs, leave of absence administration, employee engagement and compensation.. The Senior Human Resources Generalist plays a significant role in overseeing the complex life cycle of an employee.
- Supports Human Resource Manager with compliance of current state and federal employment laws; attends employment law seminars as needed. Assures that Firm employment, safety, employee relations, and equal opportunity policies and practices comply with the applicable provisions of federal and state labors laws, including appropriate record keeping and file maintenance.
- Manages staff leave of absences. Evaluates issues and recommends solutions to the Human Resources Manager in the area of Leave of Absences. Maintains subject matter expertise in various employee leave programs and state and federal legislation. Counsels employees regarding individual leave of absence needs.
- Supports Human Resources Manager in providing employee relations coaching and counseling. Works closely with department heads and supervisors in reviewing employee relations activities and conducting employee counseling sessions. Recommends appropriate course of action and disciplinary discussions to Human Resources Manager.
- Plans and implements the annual performance management process. Partners with and advises the Human Resources Manager and Office Administrator during the compensation and bonus review process, including researching and compiling market and pay equity data together with recommendations.
- Conducts full-cycle recruitment for exempt and non-exempt positions, student internships, and temporary/contract employees. Maintains job postings, conducts and coordinates interviews, completes employment references and verifications.
- Ensures recruitment efforts are in compliance with OFCCP regulations and are consistent with a government contractor status.
- Supports the efforts of the Los Angeles management team and other stakeholders to ensure successful orientation and onboarding of new hires.
- Participates in annual audits of job descriptions, internal processes and documentation; ensures accuracy of responsibilities, consistency and compliance with FLSA requirements.
- Maintains employee profile information and attendance tracking using Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS) database.
- Acts as subject matter expert in time-keeping/wage and hour process improvements and audits/reporting; works with Human Resources Manager to support time-keeping compliance.
- Oversees employee departure process, including providing information to departing employees, maintaining and preparing departure paperwork, conducting exit interviews, and maintaining and communicating results of exit interviews to Human Resources Manager. Creates analytics with exit data and analyzes results with Human Resources Manager and Office Administrator.
- Regularly interfaces with New York Human Resources, Payroll, Benefits and other employees throughout the Firm in order to appropriately administer Firm policies.
- Budgets, proposes and launches employee and Firm special events and functions.
- Produces and develops Human Resources/employee reporting needs including quarterly reports for the Human Resources Manager and Office Administrator.
- Maintains employee records and departmental files in accordance with departmental procedures and Human Resources and state and federal record keeping requirements.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Current knowledge of industry and Human Resources best practices, trends and techniques
- Familiarity with federal and California state employment and wage and hour law
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organization, and planning skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well in demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgement
- Flexibility to travel
- Strong leadership abilities
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's degree required; Human Resources or related field preferred
- Working knowledge of an integrated HRIS system required; Workday preferred.
- Minimum seven years of experience in a Human Resources related role
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
Skadden will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.