The Support Services Manager oversees and guides the strategic direction and daily operations of the Support Services Department, Facilities Management, and off-hours members of the Legal Assistant Services Department. This position provides project coordination, organizational development, process improvement and ongoing training and development. This position partners with the Senior Manager, Support Oversight to plan, develop and manage off hours operational resources and activity. The Support Services Manager is also responsible for coordinating contract attorneys for the Los Angeles office, and works closely with the Office of the General Counsel and Special Projects Coordinator in New York to ensure compliance with best practices and adherence to Firm policies and procedures. The Support Services Manager's core hours are 2:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Integrates off-hours administrative support services with day support to streamline the efficiency and effectiveness of the 24/7 support cycle; develops and implements best practices, and advances department objectives, functions, staff and support services.
- Implements and oversees initiatives that increase efficiency, strengthens employee knowledge and abilities, provides leadership and maintains high level service support to the attorneys and clients.
- Collaborates with attorneys, administration and other support staff departments in using Support Services and technical applications in effective and cost efficient ways.
- Develops and trains Support Services and other staff in customer service techniques, communication skills, and departmental policies and procedures.
- Partners with Office Administrator in oversight of the Fitness Center, including supervision of the onsite Trainer and coordination of various programs as a member of the Wellness Committee.
- Provides the necessary skills to support a seamless transition to new procedures and processes during change implementation.
- Provides support to the Legal Assistant, Secretarial, Records and Office Services Departments.
- Promotes an environment of teamwork and self-directed work teams by incorporating internal and external training methodologies and the continual evolvement of team efficiencies.
- Participates in the Los Angeles office management team by collaborating with colleagues, staff, attorneys and contacts in other offices of the Firm. Works with various department managers in the Los Angeles Office to further enhance the overall operational efficiencies of the Department.
- Provides leadership and continued professional development for Support Services and other staff.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with vendors, attorneys and staff.
- Creates an environment of open communication and participatory management to ensure the growth and development of the various departments and the individuals within them; provides direction on Firm standards.
- Collaborates with Office Administrator on various Green initiatives to support the Firm's environmental strategy (education, efficiency and best practices).
- Partners with the Senior Manager, Support Oversight and Accounting department to prepare and monitor departmental budgets. Reports to the Senior Manager, Support Oversight regarding progress of on-going projects and compliance with projected budgets.
- Consults with the Senior Manager, Support Oversight and Human Resources Manager regarding employment law issues, policy and procedural changes and specific personnel matters.
- Participates in recruiting activities for respective departments. Participates in coaching and counseling meetings and disciplinary matters when necessary.
- Meets with employees as needed regarding performance feedback. Completes annual performance reviews.
- Coordinates contract attorneys for the Los Angeles office.
- Oversees facilities maintenance and works with vendors, including waste management, document shredding services, repairs, moves, maintenance of floor pantry equipment, and carpet cleaning schedule.
- Ensures current knowledge of firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Oversees employees' work performance and provides guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Initiates disciplinary procedures in collaboration with the Human Resources Department.
- Recommends guidelines and practices to promote efficiency, effectiveness and excellent customer service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm's Core Values.
- Develops and communicates departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to request for departmental services.
- Engages in strategic (i.e., long-range) planning by developing departmental goals and supporting objectives for assigned department).
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Monitors time, attendance, overtime, and expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with firm policies.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Strong knowledge of Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Strong working knowledge of litigation matters and corporate transactions with litigation support/legal technology experience preferred.
- Professional demeanor, high emotional intelligence and ability to interact effectively with all levels.
- Strong initiative, collaboration and leadership skills.
- Proven ability to effectively lead, coordinate and implement projects, processes and change management.
- Strong ability to provide leadership and operate well under pressure.
- Analyze, assess and synthesize knowledge of HR, budget, other operational issues.
- Strong technological skills, including MS Word, advanced Excel, PowerPoint, and project management and database applications.
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Knowledge and implementation of the annual budget process
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Demonstrated experience with leading and supervising others
- Ability to administer Firm policies and procedures
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and delegate effectively
- Ability to work in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's degree required
- Ten years of operational and management experience
- Law firm experience preferred
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
Skadden will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.