Skadden is looking for an experienced, creative and enthusiastic Project Manager to join our Business Proposals Team, which supports a wide range of partners and practices in their marketing and business development initiatives. Working directly with our attorneys, you will create dynamic pitch materials, craft responses to requests for proposals and collaborate on relationship reviews and other strategic marketing content, including practice-specific brochures and presentations. As a senior member of the team, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with practice and other leaders across the firm. You also will be actively involved in the professional development of junior team members, serving as a mentor while working on projects. This position has a hybrid in-office/remote working schedule.
What makes our position different from many of the pitch-related roles at other firms is that you won't be limited to working with just one or two of our top-ranked practices — the Business Proposals Project Manager collaborates with attorneys from a number of the firm's 50+ practice areas and across several of our offices. You will have the opportunity to broaden your knowledge into areas of interest that you may have not had the chance to explore. Our goal is to provide all of our professional staff with a challenging career that positions them to develop and grow. We also take pride in working as a team. At Skadden, the Business Proposals Team works collaboratively, often with other members of the Global Marketing and Communications Department, on projects large and small.
As the Business Proposals Project Manager you will:
- Draft and produce complex new business pitches, proposals and responses to RFPs, managing the process from start to finish.
- Working closely with the team's dedicated proposal designer, handle special projects, such as creating practice-specific pitch templates and other materials.
- Serve as a mentor for junior members of the pitch team.
- Research relevant firm and partner experience when required.
- Coordinate with other department members, including firm experience, editorial and PR, to produce a variety of products in connection with the business development efforts of individual partners, practices and teams of attorneys.
- Liaise with other internal support departments (such as Client Accounting, Business Development, Technology and Finance) to obtain client relationship data and other information for new business proposals and presentations.
- Combine and leverage internal and external research/knowledge to develop new business presentations and other products.
- Maximize utilization of the firm's technology to prepare and deliver products; and coordinate optimal storage, maintenance and sharing of work product.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Extensive experience with and demonstrable understanding of the pitch and proposal process, and an ability to independently generate responses to complex RFPs
- Strong understanding of marketing and business development’s role within a law firm and the ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Knowledge of legal practice areas within the context of a large corporate law firm, and Skadden’s areas of focus/expertise, in particular
- Strong writing/editorial and research skills
- Ability to synthesize data and accurately capture it in a narrative; detail-oriented
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Solid strategic thinking and problem-solving capability, coupled with excellent judgment and decision-making and the ability to organize and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong intuitive skills, and the ability to translate experience and lessons from one project to the next
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment, as well as independently and effectively within a team
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both verbally and in writing, and the ability to work directly with partners under tight deadlines
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Experience with InDesign a plus
- Experience utilizing technology, including website, intranet, extranets, databases, knowledge management tools and presentation software
- Flexibility to work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's Degree
- Eight-plus years of relevant marketing/business development experience in a professional services firm environment
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world. Relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients’ legal issues. We are known for handling the most complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients and each other. Our attorneys and professional staff, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, work together seamlessly across 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
Culture and Life at Skadden
Skadden is known for the talent of our people, the strength of our culture and our spirit of collaboration. We believe in teamwork and bringing out the best in each other in an atmosphere promoting professionalism and excellence. Fostering equity and inclusion and drawing on diverse strengths and experiences are vital to our success. Our goal is to offer everyone at Skadden a challenging, fulfilling career with opportunities for development and growth in an environment supporting well-being.
We offer generous benefits, including:
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k) and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits.
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.