This position provides client accounting analysis and billing support to partners. Prepares bills and follows-up on all matters of billing and collection and responds to related internal inquiries. Works closely with supervisor, and team members to meet department service guidelines. Assists billing coordinators with complex billing assignments.
- Review information for client matters which partners are responsible for billing/ collecting.
- Assists with handling complex billing and client analysis projects.
- Reviews outstanding balance reports.
- Prepares bills, completes partner edits, prepares internal forms and back-up including preparation of narrative descriptions, write-offs, transfers, retainer and on-account applications and follows up processing of such paperwork.
- Responds to inquiries and requests for information made by attorneys, secretaries, legal assistants and staff using effective communication skills, both oral and written.
- Participates in answering and serving the Firm's billing and collection help line.
- Maintains complete and up-to-date files for each partner and/or client.
- Handles assigned partner(s) billing and collection activity.
- Communicates situations as they evolve that may require supervisor follow-up, such as bills not returned from attorney, difficult requests, etc.
- Actively seeks to enhance knowledge of all Client Accounting procedures and processes.
- Uses sound judgment when approaching problems and making decisions.
- Updates monthly reminder memos and lists for distribution by department target date. Follows-up reminder memo responses, including sending reminder letters, preparing A/R write-offs and providing back-up and/or additional information. Update the department’s central reminder letter schedule.
- Updates and maintains logs for billing, reminder memo logs and response sheet, partner serviced list/ production log, and client/ matter logs.
- Documents meetings/discussions with partners for actions and/or later follow-up.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's degree
- One to two years of related experience
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.