Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Skadden) has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world by relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity to deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. By relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. We are recognized as a global powerhouse for complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients. Our attorneys, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, collaborate seamlessly across 50-plus practices and 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
Skadden is looking for a Billing Rate Coordinator to join the Firm's Client Accounting department. This position assists with the implementation and maintenance of the Firm's billing rates, including both the standard rate structure as well as non-standard billing arrangements. This position will be based in our New York City office. Responsibilities include:
- Inputs billing rate data into the ADERANT Accounting system with a high degree of accuracy.
- Coordinates with other Client Accounting groups to implement non-standard billing arrangements.
- Provides analyses for use by Firm Management in the periodic review of the standard rate structure and non-standard billing arrangements.
- Communicates directly with partners, clients, partner secretaries and others to obtain missing information, clarification of existing information, and other required data prior to implementing special billing arrangements.
- Provides guidance and assistance to partners and others in the Firm regarding the most appropriate course of action with respect to implementing special billing arrangements.
- Prepares and updates a wide range of documentation relating to the Firm's billing rates.
- Understands and responds to inquiries and requests made by attorneys, clients, secretaries, legal assistants and staff and demonstrates this understanding through the use of effective communication.
- Provides relevant knowledge and support to others in the Firm in a manner that increases the level of understanding of Client Accounting processes (including the ability to formulate strong work team relationships with both the partners and their secretaries.)
- Communicates situations as they evolve that may require supervisor follow-up such as special situations needing management input, difficulty fulfilling attorney requests, or workload situations that may jeopardize meeting department service guidelines and/or partner guidelines. When possible, offers solution options for various situations.
- Actively seeks to enhance knowledge of all Client Accounting procedures and processes.
- Maintains complete and up-to-date files for each non-standard billing arrangement implemented via a rate set.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Knowledge of all aspects of the billing rate and billing process
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Ability to work and develop skills independently
- Ability to interpret and follow instructions
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum two years general work experience with some account analysis related functions
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k) and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or firstname.lastname@example.org.