Based in the firm's New York office, the Diversity & Inclusion Manager will be an integral part of the senior team supporting the firm's global diversity and inclusion objectives, with a focus on developing and implementing projects and processes involving attorney pipeline, client development, and communications initiatives.
- Actively supports the firm's attorney development and retention objectives by partnering strategically with stakeholders and within appropriate channels to ensure that attorneys are accessing resources necessary for their progression, e.g., mentoring, feedback, work opportunity and professional skills training.
- Monitors current internal metrics, and recommends and designs new measures related to the firm's D&I-related attorney development goals.
- Assists in implementing D&I initiatives that enhance the firm's client development priorities.
- Oversees internal and external communications about D&I at the firm, including developing annual communications plans, generating content and collaborating with appropriate departments to ensure published content captures the tone and substance of the firm's D&I endeavors and achievements.
- Monitors, tracks and reports industry benchmarks, better practices and trends related to D&I management.
- Serves as department liaison to the firm's regional diversity committees outside of the U.S.
- Provides guidance on the firm's social responsibility endeavors for communities and causes focused on improving diversity, particularly in the educational pipeline.
- Leads the continued development and implementation of the firm's supplier diversity program.
- Ensures current knowledge of firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Forecasts financial and budget requirements for the department, prepares related reports, and monitors the budget.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Oversees employees' work performance and provides guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Initiates disciplinary procedures in collaboration with the Human Resources Department.
- Participates in the interviewing, selection and training process.
- Oversees and ensures proper maintenance and day-to-day operation of all department functions.
- Coordinates and oversees department projects, day-to-day operations and long-range plans.
- Monitors time, attendance, overtime, and expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with firm policies.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Recommends guidelines and practices to promote efficiency, effectiveness, excellent customer service and improved employee relations, in alignment with the Firm's Core Values.
- Develops and communicates departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Ensures accurate and timely responses to requests for departmental services.
- Engages in strategic (i.e., long-range) planning by developing departmental goals and supporting objectives for assigned department(s).
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Current knowledge of industry best practices, trends and techniques
- Knowledge and implementation of the annual budget process
- Demonstrated experience with leading and supervising others
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Ability to administer Firm policies and procedures
- Personally handles more complex issues/duties requiring independent exercise of discretion and judgment
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and delegate effectively
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of five years of related experience
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.