This position is responsible for the compliance of health and welfare benefit plans/programs Firm-wide for partners, employees, and retirees. Serves as a subject matter expert on benefit plans and programs and is responsible to ensure that the design, development, implementation, and administration are current and appropriately responsive to a dynamic regulatory environment. Responsible for providing guidance on compliance with a broad range of laws applicable to health and welfare plans, including ERISA, PPACA, COBRA, HIPAA, Data Privacy, Internal Revenue Code (including Section 125), FSAs, HSAs, FMLA and other international, state and federal laws. Responsible to conduct research, and responds to benefits compliance inquiries. Additionally, this position:
- Responsible for the compliance of benefit plans and programs including but not limited to the:
- U.S. and International health & welfare benefit offerings
- U.S. expatriate and third-country national plans
- Firm-wide travel related benefit programs and policies, and
- the interaction of leave programs (federal (FMLA), state, and international laws) and the applicable benefit offerings
- Maintains awareness of and analyzes current and developing legislation and regulations affecting the benefit plans and protected leaves to assess their potential impact to the Firm and makes necessary recommendations and assists in implementing appropriate measures to comply.
- Responsible for the review, negotiation and maintenance of various health and welfare vendors' contracts.
- Key compliance advisor to the Director and Assistant Director of Benefits.
- Responsible for all aspects of HIPAA and US and international data privacy compliance.
- Develops and maintains legal, compliance, and governance documents as well as administrative processes to meet all regulatory requirements in order to provide benefit administration oversight.
- Uses compliance knowledge to make recommendations and facilitate necessary changes to modify benefit plans and the related administrative practices.
- Participates in compliance reviews and technical-oriented compliance meetings.
- Drafts and maintains participant explanatory material such as summary plan descriptions, summary of material modifications and related policies and procedures.
- Drafts and maintains health and welfare plan documents, restatements, amendments and related administrative forms.
- Oversees insurance carrier claims appeals process as needed.
- Responds to internal General Counsel's requests in response to subpoenas and employment related matters.
- Provides compliance training to Benefits Department staff to meet regulatory requirements.
- Responds to regulatory notices as required.
- Responsible for assisting in the planning and developing of various benefit plans and programs including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, life, and disability. Ensures that the programs are in compliance with legal requirements.
- Recommends revisions to existing Plans as well as the implementation of new benefits consistent with regulatory and contractual requirements.
- Assists with the annual renewal processes for all health and welfare benefit plans and programs. Partners and negotiates with benefit providers and brokers with respect to benefit plans' provisions and associated regulations in conjunction with annual renewals; maintains all related contracts.
- Responsible for assisting in the maintenance of current benefit plans and the implementation of new benefits, programs and vendor management.
- Provides guidance for benefits activities with local office regional business partners as needed.
- Develops strong relationships and works closely with the Benefits Department staff to educate, provide guidance, and ensure that the benefit plans are administered in accordance with the applicable regulations and contract provisions.
- Assists personnel at all levels within the Firm on the available benefits and programs.
- Anticipates and meets partner, employee, and retiree needs in a timely and professional manner.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communications to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies and understand Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of U.S. and internationals laws and regulations impacting benefits and data privacy
- Qualified retirement plan compliance and regulatory knowledge preferred
- Ability to research, identify and implement solutions for business issues
- Detailed knowledge of ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code and related regulations; expand professional knowledge through formal training and self-study; and applying best practices
- Experience reading and interpreting contracts, statues, regulations, court cases, briefs, letters, memorandum, opinion of counsel, pending legislation, and company policies and procedures
- Experience researching and preparing plan documents, summary plan descriptions, correspondence, memorandums, presentations, meeting minutes, etc.
- Experience negotiating, persuading, advocating, interacting, advising, and communicating effectively
- Experience using online legal research services (e.g., WestLaw)
- Strong knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., MS Word, Outlook, MS Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Payroll and accounting function knowledge, specifically related to their interaction with benefits, preferred
- Proven project management skills required
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational, and planning skills
- Deliver timely and accurate work products, and responds with a sense of urgency
- Demonstrates effective personal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Strong customer service skills
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Flexibility to travel if needed
- A minimum of four years related experience with Juris Doctorate
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.