Health & Welfare Benefits Generalist
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Skadden) has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world by relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity to deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. We are recognized as a global powerhouse for complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients. Our attorneys, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, collaborate seamlessly across 50-plus practices and 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
We are seeking a Health & Welfare Benefits Generalist to join our Firm. This position supports the Senior Health & Welfare Benefits Manager – Operations by assisting with all of the administrative operations of the CHOICE Benefits Program. Provides operational support functions to effectively service and properly perform the day-to-day administrative operations of the Firm's various U.S. health and welfare benefits plans and programs for employees and COBRA participants. Serves as a resource to all employees and COBRA participants who have questions about any and all firm benefits and to process all benefit requests in a timely and accurate manner. Assists the department with a variety of responsibilities relating to specific benefits projects to ensure the services, goals, and objectives of the department are being met. Provides high quality and on-time delivery of benefit administration services with optimal customer service.
- Ensures data privacy, security and integrity of all benefits related information.
- Performs the enrollment process (e.g., new hires/adds/status changes/terms) for the CHOICE Benefits Program and ensures that the benefits data and information is collected and managed in the firm’s Human Resources Information Systems and relevant spreadsheets.
- Performs entry of benefits information into the Human Resources Information System, various excel tracking spreadsheets, and systems requiring a high level of accuracy.
- Performs all facets of COBRA administration (e.g. billing, enrollments, and production of communications).
- Processes qualified status changes.
- Processes payroll adjustments.
- Processes and verifies carrier premium invoice reports and wire requests.
- Conducts various auditing functions to ensure data accuracy and integrity.
- Communicates with insurance carriers of enrollments/changes/terminations and confirms updates were conducted correctly.
- Proactively reaches out to employees and COBRA participants regarding required documentation, incomplete forms and informs them of approvals, denials, or requests for additional information.
- Primary point of contact to answer inquiries regarding the benefits plans (e.g., eligibility, forms, customer service number, general plan questions). Educates participants by providing clear and complete information.
- Acts as a liaison between the employees and various insurance carriers for all levels of benefit questions and requests.
- Thoroughly researches escalated issues and clearly communicates back to the individual.
- Assists with the Firm's annual open enrollment process as directed by departmental management.
- Conducts employee new hire orientations.
- Recommends methods of improved procedures for health and welfare benefits processing.
- Monitors departmental hotline voicemail and e-mail box to respond to health & welfare benefit-related questions.
- Maintains the employee and COBRA participants records in SRM; electronically filing all relevant information (e.g., applications, trusts, emails), within their records and performing audits of the files as needed.
- Back-up support for other team members for all of the Partner's and retiree's health and welfare benefits program administration functions.
- Creates, edits and maintains appropriate procedure documentation for all tasks related to the CHOICE Benefits Program.
- Responsible for the opening of all departmental mail and associated processing of the contents.
- Provides assistance with various projects, assignments, and goals of the Benefits Department as different priorities and needs arise.
- Assists in department mailing and filing projects (paper and electronic).
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Strong knowledge of health and welfare benefits administrative procedures and applicable laws
- Strong math/analytical aptitude
- Strong computer skills; proficiency in MS Excel (proficient knowledge of formulas and functions; ability to perform VLOOKUP preferred)
- Ability to read, interpret and follow instructions
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment and take direction from senior departmental staff
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to deal courteously/effectively with others
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Associate degree required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum of three years of current health and welfare benefits administration related experience
- Minimum of one year of experience working in a benefits capacity using Workday
The starting base salary for this position is expected to be between $80,000 - $85,000 annually. Actual salary will be determined based on skills, experience (to the extent relevant) and other-job related factors, consistent with applicable law.
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k) and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Skadden EEO and Affirmative Action Policy
Applicants Have Rights Under Federal Employment Law
In accordance with the Transparency in Coverage Rule, click here to review machine-readable files made available by UnitedHealthcare.