Skadden is looking for a Human Resources Compliance Manager. This position is responsible for managing compliance efforts relating to all aspects of the Human Resources function, including analysis and coordination of compliance with local, state, federal and international legislation, federal contractor obligations, maintaining compliant compensation procedures, and data management. Additionally,
- Researches and monitors emerging employment-related federal, state and local legal and regulatory requirements and analyzes their impact on existing policy, employment practices, and/or HRIS systems.
- Makes thoughtful and informed recommendations on how the Firm will respond internally to new, changing and proposed legislation to ensure compliance.
- Effectively communicates to stakeholders how changes to legal and regulatory requirements will impact Firm practices.
- Works closely with the Firm's labor attorneys to determine the Firm's response to new legal and regulatory requirements, including preparing impact analyses for attorney review.
- Coordinates, memorializes and often leads internal discussions among key stakeholders when determining the Firm response to compliance related employment matters.
- Manages implementation of updates to processes, policies and systems resulting from new compliance requirements, including collaborating closely with individuals in the Attorney
- Development, Attorney Recruiting, and Human Resources Departments across all offices.
- Drafts and revises employee handbook policies to reflect employment law updates, ensuring alignment with external regulations and internal compliance requirements.
- Works with international offices to ensure compliance with local regulations as they relate to all aspects of the HR function. Finds opportunities to create consistency across offices when legally permissible.
- Oversees annual harassment prevention training, including liaising with vendors, reviewing potential training courses in conjunction with the Firm's labor attorneys, coordinating firmwide rollout with IT and Attorney Development, and ensuring that training content is documented and retained.
- Builds strong relationships with key stakeholders to enhance and ensure the timely integration of HR compliance requirements into their processes.
- Supports data management and reporting with respect to compensation compliance, including ongoing maintenance of compensation analysis spreadsheets, coordinating with HRIS team to ensure that corresponding compensation groups are accurate, and providing analysis regarding starting and promotional salaries.
- Participates in annual pay equity review process, including preparation of compensation workbooks, analyzing compensation data and identifying issues.
- Supports the Firm's Affirmative Action Program activities, including data analysis and preparation of reports.
- Gathers, reviews and analyzes internal records to support employment-related audits.
- Engages in strategic long-term planning by developing goals for the compliance group and recommending procedural improvements in compliance practices.
- Facilitates compliance activity with international offices as needed.
- Ensures current knowledge of firm policies and practices for staff, current knowledge of industry trends, and continued professional development for staff.
- Monitors time, attendance, overtime, and expense reports to ensure accuracy and compliance with firm policies.
- Effectively utilizes the Firm's performance management process to communicate performance expectations, monitor performance, coach employees, and manage unsatisfactory performance.
- Oversees employees' work performance and provides guidance in the resolution of problems.
- Initiates disciplinary procedures as needed.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Considerable knowledge of Human Resources principles and practices, including employment laws and regulations, with JD and law firm experience preferred
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) and functional knowledge of HRIS system data and reporting
- Experience with drafting and reviewing employee handbooks
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects and activities simultaneously, with a strong ability to prioritize, organize and work effectively with minimal supervision
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholders, management, and attorneys to ensure a seamless response to new compliance obligations
- Strong data analytic skills
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Deals courteously/effectively with others
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's Degree required; Master's Degree or Juris Doctorate preferred
- Minimum of eight years compliance experience
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.