The Knowledge Management group ("KM group") in the NY office has a need for a Knowledge Management Legal Specialist. As part of the Knowledge Management ("KM") group, the KM Legal Specialist works in concert with, and supports KM counsel, KM lawyers and various practices in the development and implementation of practices' knowledge management projects and initiatives. The Legal Specialist works with KM counsel, KM lawyers and practices (i) to collect and organize know-how, (ii) to ensure that selected practice area site(s) and knowledge management tools remain up-to-date and accurate sources of reference materials for practitioners, and (iii) to implement new lawyer-facing technologies and innovative workflows in select practices at the Firm.
- Works with KM group and attorneys in select practices to develop and implement solutions and best practices to increase effectiveness and efficiency.
- Provides support to KM group and practices to collect, organize and upload valuable reference material to practice sites and knowledge management tools and ensures they are aligned with the needs of practices and kept up-to-date.
- Provides direct support to practitioners to assist them with locating practice-related internal and external knowledge resources.
- Researches, monitors, and informs select practices of legal and industry developments and trends in practice.
- Assists with automating documents and solutions by coding document questionnaires using Contract Express to improve practice group workflows.
- Supports the use of AI driven due diligence tools, collaboration tools and other legal technologies in transactional client matters and interacts with matter team, including partners, associates and legal assistants to capture project scope and share best practices
- Assists with the evaluation, selection and implementation of new technologies and practice workflows and coordinates feedback for project team and vendors.
- Identifies opportunities to leverage existing and emerging technologies into practices and coordinates pilots and proof of concept programs.
- Assists with documentation and promotion of best practices in the use of new technologies by the practice teams.
- Establishes relationships with attorneys to promote awareness of, and solicits participation in KM initiatives.
- Liaises with users to gather feedback on KM resources.
- Liaises with KS team members to facilitate internal knowledge sharing of best practices.
- Supports and collaborates with KM counsel and KM lawyers on new KM initiatives, as needed.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Experience working in a corporate or large law firm environment
- Understanding of the typical transactional practice workflows and processes including due diligence review, matter/deal management, closing checklists, etc. required
- Experience with coding in python and other language is a plus
- Experience with automation tools (such as Contract Express, Neota Logic, Hot Docs) and AI-enabled due diligence review tools (such as Kira, eBrevia or Luminance) or eDiscovery tools is highly desirable but not required
- Ability to learn new applications and technologies relevant to KM in a timely fashion and apply such skills to the Firm environment
- Basic understanding of information collection and retrieval including experience with database searching
- Well-developed organizational and communication skills
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Self-starter with ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Minimum of two years of practical experience in transactional practice at large law firm a plus.
- Additional KM experience and a strong interest in the intersection of technology and legal practice is preferred.
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.