Skadden is seeking a Legal Assistant - Litigation to join our Legal Assistant Services team in the New York office. The Legal Assistant will utilize their experience and knowledge of case resources and methods to assist with complex tasks and projects, with minimal supervision. This position will handle tasks throughout all phases and aspects of Litigation work, while providing guidance to attorneys, other legal assistants, and professional staff.
- Handles complex projects with limited supervision.
- Assists with the preparation and/or filing of pleadings, court papers, etc.
- Assists with retrieval of rules, regulations and company profiles.
- Provides support throughout all phases of discovery, including document review, production and depositions.
- Assists with preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials, and/or client meetings.
- Proofreads briefs, memoranda of law, opinions, and other documents.
- Cite-checks legal documents, shepardizes authorities, and verifies the accuracy of quoted material and cited exhibits.
- Performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and other media and financial services sites, and/or other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Manages databases in accordance with Firm standards.
- Organizes and manages electronic and paper files.
- Ensures that all files are maintained within Firm-approved protocols and case management systems.
- Maintains the integrity of client files.
- Assists attorneys, legal assistants and professional staff across offices.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies, and procedures.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned or needed.
- Knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to quickly learn new software and operating systems
- Working knowledge of federal and state court rules and procedures
- Ability to proficiently navigate various electronic databases and document management systems
- Working knowledge of Relativity and other e-discovery applications such as TextMap and CaseMap
- Fluency with court filings, in both paper and electronic (e-filing formats)
- Ability to assist in the preparation of, and during, arbitrations/trials
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw,
- LexisNexis, PACER, SEC/EDGAR and other court-related websites
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrates effective organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work well independently, as well as effectively, within a team
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Flexibility to travel, as required
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in a legal assistant position or a position requiring similar skillset, expertise and experience
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, please note that all newly-hired personnel in the United States must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their first day of employment.