This provides attorneys, members of the Department and other professional staff with diversified clerical, administrative and case team support by handling complex tasks and projects, with limited supervision, throughout all phases and aspects of Mass Torts work.
- Handles complex projects with limited supervision.
- Organizes and manages electronic and paper files.
- Ensures that all files are maintained within Firm-approved protocols and case management systems.
- Maintains the integrity of client files.
- Assists with the preparation and/or filing of pleadings, court papers, registration documents, forms, etc., as needed.
- Assists with retrieval of rules, regulations and company profiles, as needed.
- Provides support throughout all phases of discovery, including document review, production and depositions.
- Assists with complex tracking and data analysis projects.
- Assists with preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials, and/or client meetings.
- Proofreads briefs, memoranda of law, opinions and other documents, as needed.
- Pulls cases, shepardizes briefs and handles cite-checking, as needed.
- Performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER, and/or other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Updates attorney and case team binders.
- Manages databases in accordance with Firm standards.
- Assists other legal assistants and attorneys across practice areas, as needed.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned or needed.
- Knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel), with the ability to quickly learn new software and operating systems
- Advanced knowledge of Excel
- Ability to fluently navigate various electronic databases and document management systems
- Working knowledge of Relativity and other e-discovery applications such as TextMap and CaseMap
- Ability to assist in the preparation of, and during, jury trials
- Ability to work closely with local counsel and external vendors, as required
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw,
- LexisNexis, PACER, and other court-related websites
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work well independently, as well as effectively, within a team
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to lead teams of peers and junior legal assistants
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Flexibility to travel, as required
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in a legal assistant position or a position requiring similar skillset, expertise and experience
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.