Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Skadden) has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world by relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity to deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. By relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity, our lawyers deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. We are recognized as a global powerhouse for complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients. Our attorneys, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, collaborate seamlessly across 50-plus practices and 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
We are seeking a Legal Assistant Specialist – Mass Torts Discovery (Paralegal) to join our Firm. Within this position, you will be responsible for providing high-level support throughout all stages of discovery by working directly with case teams, the Legal Technology department, vendors, and clients. Additionally, you will play an active role in large document review and production workflows and provide high-level database support to partners and attorneys. This position will be based in our New York office and has a hybrid in-office/remote working schedule.
As the Legal Assistant Specialist – Mass Torts Discovery (Paralegal) you will:
- Provide support throughout all phases of discovery, including document review, production, and depositions.
- Communicate and coordinate with vendors, attorneys, and clients regarding collection, processing, review, and production of documents.
- Assist with preparation of privilege logs.
- Monitor and track all document review activities, provide regular status updates and metrics to case teams.
- Conduct complex searching tasks in various electronic discovery platforms.
- Assist with complex tracking and data analysis projects.
- Assist with preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials, and/or client meetings.
- Prepare for and provide support during Mass Torts trials.
- Assist with the preparation and filing of state court and Federal Court pleadings and other court papers.
- Proofread briefs, memoranda of law, opinions, and other documents.
- Handle advanced, complex projects, and provide project management skills to effectively lead projects and teams.
- Ensure that all Mass Torts case files are maintained within Department-approved protocols and case management systems, and seek to improve workflows regarding storage and recall of electronic and paper files.
- Organize and manage electronic and paper files.
- Maintain the integrity of client files.
- Assist partners, associates, and other legal assistants across offices, as needed.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manage Firm resources responsibly.
- Comply with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated experience working on complex eDiscovery matters
- Advanced knowledge of Excel
- Ability to fluently navigate various electronic databases and document management systems, experience with Relativity preferred
- Working knowledge of Relativity and other e-discovery applications such as TextMap and CaseMap
- Knowledge of Firm operation, policies and procedures
- Knowledge of relevant Firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to assume responsibility for assigned projects and tasks
- Ability to assume leadership role on case teams
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Flexibility to travel as required
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of five years’ experience in litigation-based paralegal or legal technology-focused role
The starting base salary for this Legal Assistant Specialist – Mass Torts Discovery position is expected to be between $100,000 to $115,000 annually. Actual salary will be determined based on skills, experience (to the extent relevant) and other-job related factors, consistent with applicable law.
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community, and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity, and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the Firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the Firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k), and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or email@example.com.