The Legal Practice Assistant is the entry-level position within the Department which involves significant contact with attorneys, members of the Department and other professional staff. Provides diversified clerical, administrative, and case/deal support. Portuguese language fluency is required. The position has a start date of June 12, 2018.
The Legal Practice Assistant:
- Performs work involving reading, writing, speaking and translating Portuguese language fluently.
- Organizes and manages electronic and paper files.
- Ensures that all files are maintained with Department-approved protocols and case management systems.
- Maintains the integrity of client files.
- Assists with the preparation and court filing of pleadings and other court papers, as needed.
- Assists with retrieval of rules, regulations and company profiles, as needed.
- Assists with document productions, transactions and/or closings.
- Assists with preparation for interviews, depositions, hearings, trials and/or client meetings.
- Performs non-legal research using various research tools, including the Internet, Westlaw, LexisNexis, PACER and other court-related websites for case law, statutes, articles, books, etc.
- Updates attorney and case/deal team binders.
- Page-checks documents.
- Assists legal assistants and attorneys across practice areas.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
- Manages Firm resources responsibly.
- Complies with and understands Firm operation, policies and procedures.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to read, write, speak and translate Portuguese language fluently
- Knowledge of Firm operation, policies and procedures
- Knowledge of relevant firm computer software programs (e.g., Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), with the ability to learn new software and operating systems
- Ability to navigate various electronic databases and document repositories
- Strong research skills and proficiency in using various research tools
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to use discretion and exercise independent and sound judgment
- Ability to work well independently as well as effectively within a team
- Ability to assume progressive responsibilities within assigned work as experience is gained in the position
- Ability to handle sensitive matters and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to handle multiple projects and shifting priorities
- Ability to work well in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Demonstrates close attention to detail
- Flexibility to travel as required
- Flexibility to adjust hours and work the hours necessary to meet operating and business needs
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Related work experience in a professional setting
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or an accommodation during the process due to a disability should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073.