Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Skadden) has forged a reputation as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world by relying on innovation, intellect, teamwork and tenacity to deliver the highest quality advice and novel solutions to our clients' legal issues. We are recognized as a global powerhouse for complex transactions, litigation/controversy issues, and regulatory matters, as well as for the open, collaborative relationships we build with clients. Our attorneys, who reflect diverse backgrounds and perspectives, collaborate seamlessly across 50-plus practices and 21 offices in the world’s major financial centers.
We are seeking a Legal Technology Senior Data Specialist to join our Firm. This position will be based in our New York City office (hybrid). The LT Senior Data Specialist will be responsible for performing data analysis and completing projects related to the Firm’s document management systems, such as creating databases, loading, exporting, maintaining and manipulating data, converting and managing electronic files. The LT Senior Data Specialist will also support document review projects by performing data analytics, running database searches, and ensuring the validity and integrity of Firm-hosted data.
- Creates and maintains databases such as Relativity and Kira, administers database security and permissions, designs views, and layouts.
- Ensures database indices are correctly set up and updated to optimize searching.
- Performs database searches to check data, prepare for analytics operations and to assist case teams as needed in locating documents.
- Performs file transfers to and from the Firm's systems and external sources using various protocols and methods.
- Analyzes data collections to identify loadable data, duplicative files, etc.
- Loads data to and exports data from the Firm’s databases such as Relativity and Kira, validating deliverables and input to ensure the files conform with industry standards, project specifications and are compatible with databases.
- Manipulates data to meet project specifications, i.e. conforming field values, merging data, extracting text strings.
- Performs tasks related to database maintenance such as record deletions, data back-up, updating existing records and associated images/native files, field merges, and conforming field values.
- Prepares document productions, creating production sets, checking endorsements and redaction settings and exporting files.
- Quality checks productions to ensure load files and final deliverables are valid and work product meets project-specific and industry standards.
- Performs structured analytics operations (textual near duplicate analysis, email threading and name normalization), assessing data for suitability of operation, creating associated views and layouts to aid in the presentation and interpretation of the analytics results.
- Creates conceptual analytics indices and works with senior team members in supporting case teams in technology assisted review (TAR) projects.
- Ensures the integrity of data and soundness of databases by performing periodic checks on database fields, indices and structure.
- Troubleshoots and resolves database issues such as missing or corrupt data and images, incorrectly loaded data; database permission issues and outdated indices.
- Traces document history by researching user requests, email chains, checking load files used, and original data sources.
- Creates digital media archive files for preservation in the Firm's Records system.
- Maintains physical order of source media and other related materials.
- Assists in testing technical solutions to improve existing project workflows.
- Works with LT Project Managers to ensure efficient workflows are adapted and databases are properly maintained and optimally configured.
- Assesses non-standard requests and works with team to develop a work plan.
- Communicates status of project and manage Project managers' and case team's expectations.
- Seeks updates and case status/developments from Project managers and case teams.
- Responds to case team inquiries regarding status of requests.
- Ensures that all projects are completed with the highest level of quality by checking that the details of the request are met and that any errors are addressed.
- Develops project workflows for efficiency, using a combination of custom and established department applications and procedures.
- Provides technical guidance to team members and lead complex, non-standard loading and conversion assignments.
- Assist in coordinating production efforts with other LT members in the absence of the supervisor and/or manager.
- Ensures all team members consistently follow the Department's prescribed procedure.
- Assist in design and preparation of training materials and provides training to team.
- Provides assistance when and where necessary to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective work relationships with others.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of Relativity and litigation support production workflows preferred.
- Working knowledge of job-related computer software, i.e. imaging, database.
- Working knowledge of structured query language (SQL) for use with databases and MS Windows.
- Basic knowledge of database administration functions such as loading data, manipulating data and exporting fielded data.
- Familiarity with productivity tools used for file transfers and copies (ftp), file compression (RAR and ZIP) and encryption methods.
- Ability to manipulate data through programmatic means or by using a text editor such as TextPad.
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to handle confidential/sensitive matters.
- Ability to work independently or in a team setting.
- Initiative to assume a high level of responsibility in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong multitasking skills in order to handle multiple projects and assignments, and shifting responsibilities and deadlines.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to provide upper-margin customer service.
- High level of professionalism.
- Ability to assume progressive responsibilities within assigned work as experience is gained in the position.
- Flexibility to adjust hours to operating needs.
- Bachelor's degree required. Preferred majors in the fields of Data Analytics, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems or Math.
- 3-5 years eDiscovery experience in law firm or litigation support industry, managing databases and assisting in eDiscovery projects.
The starting base salary for this New York position is expected to be between $115,000 to $130,000 annually. Actual salary will be determined based on skills, experience (to the extent relevant) and other-job related factors, consistent with applicable law.
Culture & Life at Skadden
What makes Skadden special is our people and the culture, community and spirit of collaboration we have created. We believe in teamwork and inspiring each other to be our best in an atmosphere that promotes professionalism and excellence in all that we do. We know that inclusion, equity and drawing on the strength of a wide spectrum of diverse talent only make us better and is vital to the firm's success. Our goal is for everyone at the firm to enjoy a challenging career with opportunities for development and growth and to support the well-being of our attorneys and professional staff.
The overall well-being of our team is important to us. We offer generous benefits to help you achieve wellness in all areas of your life.
- Competitive salaries and year-end discretionary bonuses.
- Comprehensive health care (medical, dental, vision), savings plan/401(k) and voluntary benefits.
- Generous paid time off.
- Paid leave options, including parental.
- In-classroom, remote, and on-demand learning and professional development opportunities.
- Robust well-being classes and programs.
- Opportunities to give back and make an impact in local communities.
For further details, please visit: https://www.skadden.com/careers/staff/employee-benefits
Skadden is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It adheres to an equal employment opportunity policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against applicants or employees based on any legally impermissible factor including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual and reproductive health decisions, disability (where the applicant or employee is qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation), any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, or stalking.
If you are having technical issues applying for a position, please contact your local internet service provider. Applicants who are interested in applying for a position and require special assistance or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or a religious belief or practice should contact Jennifer Lee at (212) 735-2073 or firstname.lastname@example.org.